Author Topic: ub_abbey beta  (Read 2169 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
ub_abbey beta
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:42:24 AM »
For those that weren't there for the test and want to look at it:

http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/ub_abbey.bsp
http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/ub_textures.zip (all you really need if you already have ub_rooftop is http://dpball.com/files/textures/ub_textures/abbey2_wall14b.jpg)

Make sure you put it in your maps/beta directory so we don't end up having a bunch of different versions floating around.

I like the map.  It looks nice.  It's a refreshing change to see something that looks unique and original.

Now, down to the nitty-gritty:

First off, the doors to the spawn room.  You need to make all the brushes for each door all one group.  Right now, all of the pieces move individually, which looks weird, and if anything gets in the way, funky stuff like this happens:

Second, the .wal files are too bright causing reflected light to look super bright.  This is a problem with the bsp pack I released before.  There's a new pack with gamma-corrected .wal's to compensate for aghrad's texture brightening.  Grab it here: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1164.0 .  The custom textures you made also suffer from this problem.  Here's the gamma corrected palette: http://dpball.com/files/mapmaking/paintball2_g2.4.pal  Load it up in wally and reconvert the custom textures you have and you should be good to go.

While I'm talking about the lighting, I noticed that the shadows don't really match up with the sky very well:

Notice how the sun is behind the base, but the front of the base is brightly lit.  What I'd suggest doing is using arghrad's sun feature, but make the light, ambient, and diffuse values very close (since it's a cloudy sky, it would be mostly ambient lit anyway).  This should allow you to have convincing directional lighting without changing the appearance too much.

Next, the capture point (I assume that's what the red rectangle is - I never actually captured a flag).  It's red on both bases.  Also, I see you've scaled the texture way down on it.  That isn't necessary as the highres texture pack puts that texture in the hr4 directory, making it 4x's smaller, which is basically what you've done.  If you have the highres textures AND your scaling, it'll be super tiny and probably look very tiled (if you can see the texture at all - I haven't tested it).  Scaling textures down causes qbsp to chop it up a bunch:

I also think it would look better closer to the ground, maybe even completely embedded.

The doorway posts:

I think using the plank texture looks goofy.  You should use a plain wood grain texture instead.  Also, rotate the texture so the wood grain goes along the length of the post.

The trees.  I don't know about these...  A lot of the map looks very realistic, but then you have those trees, which kill the illusion and remind you that you're in a low-polygon quake2 map.  From the design standpoint of the map, they look good, but the trees themselves... well, they're about all you can do with brushes.  I should really make some tree models.

There are some things that need to be fixed if you decide to stick with them.  One is the mysterious floating tree branch!:

The second is the branch thats just a little too low to walk under.  It's a bit of a nuisance.

The stairway to nowhere:

I don't know if you had further plans for that or what.

The barrels... to be honest, I really don't like these.  They look out of place and kill the atmosphere.  It's not a requirement that every paintball2 map have barrels and/or crates. ;)  Also, they look too fat:

Looks wider than it does tall (compare to real barrels: http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/manhattan/randalls-wards/randallsisland/39cans.jpg)

Also, some color indicators might be handy in some of the center areas that have none.  You should also consider having some equipment upgrades in various places in the map instead of spawning the players with everything.  There are plenty of good locations for that.  There's some slightly misaligned textures in places, too.  I can point them all out if you really want me to.

All in all, a very nice map.  I look forward to seeing it completed.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: ub_abbey beta
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »
I think this map rocks. Besides those things that Jitspoe said, I have little to add.
I seriously hope you intend on adding deathmatch mode. Could you imagine Pong in this map...eeegads.

The barrels...maybe make traditional wine barrels instead? I seem to remember those being around in them old Clint Eastwood movies.

The map may confuse at first, but after a few rounds it becomes suprisingly easy to navigate.

Great job...can't wait to see the finished product!

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:33:40 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:08:14 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 04:49:04 PM »
That's because it is uni's map. :)

jimmy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 06:40:23 PM »
Yeah it's a great map but if you're planning on Uni reading any of this then you might want to unban him from the forums Jitspoe.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:20:02 PM »
Yeah it's a great map but if you're planning on Uni reading any of this then you might want to unban him from the forums Jitspoe.
LOL

Thats was a very fun map. Nice theme and textures, wow!! Need more like them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:00:16 PM »
So that really was uni that spammed the forum up then.  Somehow I expected more of him than that.  Ah well, he's unbanned now.

warwulf

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 03:02:48 PM »
yes it was realy me and i realy msged u like 20 times to unban me and all u did was post me a link to this forum where i wasnt able to join lol after i told u

but yeah umm ive only worked on this map for 2 weeks jesus leave me alone! =) and the stairway to no where was actuly going to be a lil statue. i modeled out a wolf to go their but i tried to convert it to a md2 file and it wouldnt export in milkshape cause i didnt apply any bones to the vertices..... if u want the .3ds format and u wanna convert it for me that would help out alot

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »
Try using qme (quake model editor).  If you can't get it to work, send the 3ds file to me and I'll give it a shot.

As for the ban, you requested being unbanned after I gave you the link, and I unbanned you.  I don't recall any previous requests.  Please don't spam the forums again.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 05:18:24 PM »
Another thing: I think you need more spawn area.  The map is large, but the spawn room is very small, and, aside from having players spawning inside of each other, it could lead to excessive spawn camping.