Author Topic: Ubuntu 7.10 bugs on Intel MacBook  (Read 2703 times)

mcandre

• PGP
Ubuntu 7.10 bugs on Intel MacBook
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
The Linux binary works! I am so happy! There are a few problems with it in Ubuntu though:

1. Each time I am eliminated, until I respawn, the game dims. Not the whole screen, as I can still see my mask, team scores, and other things. But the environment blacks out.

2. PBall doesn't let me specify the audio device. Since I'm running this on a MacBook, I have to use PCM as the audio device or I can't control the volume--my roommate gets annoyed by the sound effects.

3. I think I was downloading a modified Shazzam map when PBall crashed. Though I had saved my configuration multiple times before starting the download, the conf. wasn't really saved. Upon restarting PBall, I had to reconfigure everything again. So 1) There's an element in that map which can crash PBall, and 2) The Save button doesn't really save immediately.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Ubuntu 7.10 bugs on Intel MacBook
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
1) That's a server setting.
2) You should be able to specify the sound device with some of the console settings - something like s_device (don't remember offhand).
3) Not sure on this one.  Saving the config should work, but I don't know that I've tested it on Linux.  Perhaps you were saving it as a different file name?  Exiting the game will automatically save your config.  Not sure what caused the crash, either.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
2) could you please find that out + give an explanation?
3) it has happened to me once or twice before that my whole config was wiped clean and I had to reconfigure, windows system..

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
Since I'm running this on a MacBook,

how can you run this game on a mac?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
how can you run this game on a mac?
Macs are just PC's with Intel processors now.  You can install functional OS's on them.

mcandre

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
1. Haha. I was going to add that I thought maybe this bug was really a feature! I just haven't played at servers that did this.
2. I see a command to restart the sound engine (snd_restart) at http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/reference/commands, but I don't think pball has a way to use other devices yet, as there is only snd_alsa.so and snd_oss.so. Even if I could find the command to specify the device, I would have to copy some snd_pcm.so file over to the pball directory.
3. This sort of things happens a bunch. I've even used the tilda names trick to hack my brother while playing Liero Xtreme. If this isn't related to map corruption, then I guess there's some underlying process that really crashed pball.

Yes, I am running this on a Mac. Actually, I'm running pball twice, as I have Mac Leopard, Linux Ubuntu, and Windows Vista included in a simple triple boot. I wish I knew more about developing on Macs, as I'd love to be the one to port Paintball to Mac OS.

The only reason I prefer PCM to OSS is that Ubuntu/OSS currently doesn't handle audio well on MacBooks. The audio sounds terrible and I can't change the volume unless I specify the PCM sound device for every program.

I've managed to create an installer for Ubuntu, which I'll upload and submit a link to you guys as soon as my web host sorts out its RAID issues. The debian installer is a lot nicer than just a folder of binaries.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »
Well, oss and alsa are like the drivers, I believe.  From within those you can specify a device, like /dev/pcm.  The cvars probably aren't on the list because they're only on the linux version.  Try typing s_ and snd then hitting tab.

mcandre

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »
"snd_device alsa" did it! I think everything is moving from OSS to Alsa, so maybe the Linux default should be changed.

I'm not able to Alt-Tab even when the option to do so is chosen. But, I can Alt-Tab if the console is open. For right now, that's enough for me :) Though the OpenGL screen stays up when another program, e.g. Firefox, GEdit, OpenOffice is selected.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:33:56 PM »
I believe the option is for win_allowalttab - I don't know if there's a linux version of that setting.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »
"snd_device alsa" did it! I think everything is moving from OSS to Alsa, so maybe the Linux default should be changed.

I'm not able to Alt-Tab even when the option to do so is chosen. But, I can Alt-Tab if the console is open. For right now, that's enough for me :) Though the OpenGL screen stays up when another program, e.g. Firefox, GEdit, OpenOffice is selected.

You have to take it out of fullscreen.  This is what I use:

Code: [Select]
alias window "vid_fullscreen 0; gl_mode 4"

alias full "gl_mode 21; vid_fullscreen 1"

I open up the console and call one of the aliases.  Naturally change the gl_modes to suit your needs.

mcandre

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
Natch, I can't Alt-Tab whether in full screen or not, gl_mode 21 or 4.

Also, when I change to another program and return to Paintball's console, the letters become uppercase until I close and reopen the console.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
Huh.  I haven't had that problem.  I have had issues with OSS however.

mcandre

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
I now have a habit of quiting whichever game I'm playing immediately after configuring the settings. I was just finished tweaking Paintball when it crashed while loading Archaic Fields. My settings were forgotten again.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
And thats why I have custom configs, an have a shortcut to execute this config:

Code: [Select]
exec "mine\bnds.cfg"
exec "mine\aliases.cfg"
exec "mine\setas.cfg"
exec "mine\FFdemo.cfg"
exec "mine\zoom.cfg"