Author Topic: Feature: Modeling scene to .bsp  (Read 1984 times)

Garrett

• Autococker
Feature: Modeling scene to .bsp
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »
After reading THIS post and THIS post, I thought it would be a good idea to put this up for vote.
Basically, this feature will allow you to make a map in a 3d modeling program, such as 3dsMax, Maya, Blender, Gmax, Milkshape, etc.  This feature will allow more map detailed maps to be made and add some diversity to the maps.
This feature would most likely require the new map format and a compiler to be written. 

Other posts:
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=436.msg3879#msg3879
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=436.msg3923#msg3923

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Feature: Modeling scene to .bsp
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:57 PM »
Jitspoe posted a screenshot a while back (about a year ago I think) of a level designed in 3DS for some other game, I remember being really impressed by it.

You can sort of replicate the process at the moment, ViciouZ and I found the best way to do this now is to model the maps in Blender/3DS Max, export as a Q3 Map, run through the Q3 -> Q2 map exporter (I forget the author) then touch up and compile in BSP.

However, I personally feel this topic should be merged with 'New Map Format'...

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Rawscape makes meshes into .maps right?  If so, would applying the same concept to an entire map work?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
Uh, Rawscape makes bitmaps into .maps. And not very well, either.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »
Meant to say RAW files.  My bad.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
Actually, I did have a version of rawscape that took a 3DS ASE file and converted it to brushes.  It only worked for "top down" terrain type polygons, though.  That's what I used for Siege Castle.  It just made the triangle the top of the brush and went straight down.  You couldn't use it to make caves or buildings.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »
Did you ever make that version public?  You could use the source coding for the converter and make the converter into a stand alone program/ compiler/ whatever is easiest for you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
Did you ever make that version public?  You could use the source coding for the converter and make the converter into a stand alone program/ compiler/ whatever is easiest for you.
Not sure.  I'll have to track it down.