Author Topic: Big HUD  (Read 4218 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Big HUD
« on: January 19, 2003, 02:19:07 AM »
Almost done with the hud scaling (it's a pain -- basically everything was hard-coded values, so I had to go through and mutiply a gazillion numbers by the hud scale...).

Now I can't decide if I should use bilinear filtered pics (smooth/blurry) or not (sharp/pixelated).  Here's a couple sshots...

Notice also the redone "high"-res 32-bit splat and flag images ;D

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
Re: Big HUD
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 06:38:31 AM »
Eek.. is that fov 90? Freak.

The one reason i don't go above 640x480 is because i can't read the text, so I think this is awesome.. big text = better!  Very nice.

Of course, I naturally have something little to gripe about.  The little splats indicating team color on the bottom as they are right now kinda suck.  It's that whole color thing.. already hard to tell apart, and now it's just a splatter instead of a solid color.   But I can fix that myself in photoshop, so hey - no harm, no foul.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 02:20:17 PM »
Maybe you should code a DP for people like mike with disabilities! Maginify , text-to-speech , that sorta thing. What RES is that jits?? And whered you get that FPS counter =]?? Is that something new to come or is it alredy there??

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 12:20:16 AM »
It's at 800x600 (the images weren't scaled at all).  The framerate display is in alpha1 -- cl_drawfps.

Nobody's said anything about the filtered vs unfiltered HUD pics...  I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.  I like the sharp (unfiltered) ones myself...

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 01:40:32 AM »
Dear Jitspoe,

The above two pictures are identical.  I pick "D."

Thank you,
Mike

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 05:25:48 AM »
Ok.. I didnt relize they were diffrent until mike said that.. There isnt a HUGE diffrence but the top pic has less edges.. easiest if you compare the ball count. I dunno I like the smooth edges better.. but I think the dark cracks look nice in pic two also..  so its kinda a toss up , figure out how to combine the two ;]

Also.. the placement of the FPS is kinda in a bad spot , really hard to notice during the game maybe put it off to the side by itself.. left side might be good.. or have it a diffrent color =] Just a suggestion.

Last thing I think... I bet making the hub moveable for us would be pretty hard? It would certainly be nice , how about like 4 or 5 predefined positions for the hud...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 07:39:33 AM by Anrkist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 02:09:46 PM »
I guess I'm too picky about little details like that.  It took me forever to figure out how to make the images sharp too...

I don't think the framerate display is very vital to the game, so that's why it's off to the side.  I don't think you're gonna be like, "Eek! I'm getting shot at! Oh, look! 45fps!"

The hud positioning thing would be a pain to do (like the hud scaling) -- the way they have it coded makes it really difficult to modify.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 02:21:05 PM by jitspoe »

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2003, 02:11:59 PM »
Hmm.. well photoshop has a SHARPEN filter.. not sure if and how it really works.. but im sure you knew that =]

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 02:26:42 PM »
Well, it's not the image itself that's the problem, it's how it's filtered in the game.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 06:10:44 PM »
just wondering, is this something that will have to be adjusted through console commands or will it be stuck into the menu somewhere??

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 10:01:37 PM »
Either or...  While that topic is up, anything else I should add to the menu that isn't there?

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 12:33:47 AM »
IDEA!  Wow, this just popped in my head randomly when you asked.

Maybe a little tiny graphic that shows how many are alive on your team, either by number or by little bars or something.  So when you're playing and in a weird situation, you don't have to hit F1 to find out?  *shrug*

And maybe a little tiny time for the next revival on your team.  So you know in a situation whether to wait it out for a respawn or hurry up and die so someone doesn't cap on a respawn, etc.  That would actually help ALOT probably.  

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 05:37:02 AM »
IDEA!  Wow, this just popped in my head randomly when you asked.

Maybe a little tiny graphic that shows how many are alive on your team, either by number or by little bars or something.  So when you're playing and in a weird situation, you don't have to hit F1 to find out?  *shrug*

You're joking, right? :)

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 11:18:58 AM »
That doesn't mean my real one should be ignored!

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 05:38:13 PM »
Ok one thing that bugs me alot is.. when your eliminated and your following someone.. you cant see who your following cause the time gets in the way... maybe move either one of those to a diffrent area..

Jug

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2003, 10:44:27 AM »
I agree with Anrkist on the chase camera names. It would be nice if the name just stayed there.  Also, just wanted to say I like the smooth version of the hub better.

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2003, 12:23:51 PM »
The hud looks good. On mfornals note, i love the idea of having a respawn timer for your next teammates revival. I think it would help out tremendously in clan matches.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2003, 12:41:53 PM »
I'm redoing the hud gfx in higher res so they look good big (soon to be potd, if I ever get around to updating it).

As for the text... I'll probably do something to make that clientside and whatnot so it won't overlap the viewing text and whatnot... ah, todo todo todo.... the list never shrinks, only grows.