Author Topic: Can't open properties  (Read 1196 times)

Laged

• 68 Carbine
Can't open properties
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
The subject tells pretty much:
When I right click a file or a folder and click on "properties" the system does not respond. I have to close the explorer.exe or the computer does not respond. When I close it, all the explorer windows close.

I'm using windows xp home. I googled and I found this:
http://forum.soft32.com/windows/open-Properties-file-folder-shortcut-click-ftopict349767.html

That's exactly what happens to me and I read the thread. There was a link to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm and I did what that site suggested (method 2).

That didn't work and now I have no idea how to fix it.

Here is a screenshot from ShellExView:

I tried disabling all the context menu handlers one by one but it still didn't work.

If this has happened to you or you know how to fix it feel free to post and help me :)

Thanks in advance

Laged

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Can't open properties
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
1. Did you reboot?
2. Have you installed any software lately?
3. Does it work in safe mode?

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
1. No, I didn't. The site didn't say anything about rebooting. Should I try rebooting?
2. Well, only dropbox.
3. Don't know, haven't tried yet. Also, I'm not so good with computers, how can I acces the safe mode?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
reboot first.
What is Safe Mode?

All versions of Windows come with a diagnostic setup called "Safe Mode". Many average PC users are unfamiliar with the purpose of Safe Mode and only encounter it when there has been a system crash or similar problem. They are then puzzled by what to do next. The purpose of Safe Mode is to help troubleshoot computer problems by operating with a bare minimum of drivers and Windows components. By reducing what is running, Safe Mode can help you diagnose a problem caused by a faulty driver or software.
How to Get to Safe Mode

One way to reach safe mode is by booting up and pressing the F8 key right after the POST check. In practice this can be tricky to time correctly and all too often you can end up in the regular boot mode. The technique is to repeatedly tap the F8 key until the startup menu appears. Sometimes you will fill up the buffer memory with all the key taps and get an error message or the computer will complain by beeping. Also, the F8 key may not work with a USB keyboard because USB drivers have not yet been loaded. However, newer computers have USB support in the BIOS so this problem should be limited to older machines.

If this doesn't do it, remove dropbox.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »
This is why I now use Linux for every single thing I can.  Oh, and KnacK, safe mode is pretty useless with a virus if its in task manager, because people who write them would be smart enough to get it to run in there, just like the one I had about 3 months ago because of my idiotic brother. 

But in this case it should work in safe-mode, or you have installed something that has played around with your computer.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
* KnacK is quite aware of the capabilities and limitations of safe mode when virii are concerned