Author Topic: Map compiles but Pball shows a big "trig" texture?  (Read 1189 times)

SoftCoder

• PGP
Map compiles but Pball shows a big "trig" texture?
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »
My son has been playing with DP for about half a year making some decent maps. Recently we found out about models and he made a new map using lots of models. The map compiles with no leaks and no errors using qbsp but when loaded in BSP we see the startup screen, then just random behviour of:

- either a big Texutre showing the words Trig
or
- A big texture showing something looking like wood

At this point it looks like DP is hung and you must end-task it. The map is fairly large but it does compile without error and PB initially loads. Any ideas how to debug this?

Thanks

SoftCoder

• PGP
Re: Map compiles but Pball shows a big "trig" texture?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:22:17 PM »
More Info: We deleted all models and still same problem. My son tells me the map was fine until he mirrored it for the other teams half of the map using Ctrl-C Ctrl-V and Edit/Mirror. That is when this behaviour started. We will continue investigation, any ideas would be appreciated. Is there a better way to mirror a map?

Thanks

SoftCoder

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »
Ok we found out the problem and solved it. Turns out the compiler did NOT report any leaks but when running BSP's leak check there was a microscopic leak in a long running wall. Once we rebuilt the wall and mirrored the map all works just fine.

Thanks

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:24:52 AM »
  Glad I could help, just let me know how I can help again... of course I'm just kidding. Good job finding the problem. I'm interested in seeing the new models, hopefully you won't mind sharing them with other mappers to use.

SoftCoder

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
Yes, in the spirit of open source we will share maps, textures, models etc.. I read on this forum about using QME but I found that Blender is a much better model editor and is very active on sourceforge and best of all it supports md2 file format (we imported some of the dpball and bsp models and they loaded).

Once we get proficient in making models etc.. you should see some pretty cool new concepts in maps. I have a team of young children here interested in dpball and bsp, and playing some of their maps already looks promising :)

Creativity is key to fun play in paintball.