Author Topic: Newmap "Houses"  (Read 2797 times)

MosheD

• VM-68
Newmap "Houses"
« on: November 07, 2005, 12:31:24 PM »
Ello,

i looking for a good tutorial for making maps... maybe in german :p but english is ok too...
I saw a pic in the forums and when i learned to handle the editor i wanna build a map like this:

http://www.ravenfiles.dyndns.org/screenshot/tides1.jpg

not the same but the concept of it...
Now i looking for a tutorial and maybe some pro mapper...

Thanks MosheD

/edit im blind... didnt saw the tutorial above my post... gotta read this now but i still looking for help cuz imsure that i`ll need it =)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 10:44:41 AM by moshed »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: looking for good tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:42:26 PM »
Tides is a great map, and I would love to see maps of that quality in Paintball2.  Here's a top-down view of it, just for reference: http://ludwig.schafer.free.fr/CounterSource/Overviews/jpeg/de_tides.jpg

Of course, maps with this much detail may not be possible until I beef up the map format a bit.  As for tutorials, I've been meaning to write some, but I haven't had much time recently.  If you have trouble with something, though, post in this mapping forum or head over to #level_design on irc.enterthegame.com.  We'll try to help you out!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 06:30:29 PM »
First the beefing. Then the tutorials.

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:43:12 AM »
I made a overview of my map... the map like it`ll be =)

http://delt4.de.funpic.de/house.jpg

your opinion pls
btw it is just a overview so it isnt the real size of the entrances or something =)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: Newmap "Houses"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 10:48:07 AM »
I get-->  404: Die angeforderte Datei ist leider nicht verfügbar!

So I think it needs more detail...

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:30:59 AM »

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:41 AM »
interesting...some areas are obviously higher or lower than others...use some grayscale shading to show that (darker being lower areas).

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:04:11 PM »
http://delt4.de.funpic.de/House2.jpg

i marked higher and lower areas

the second way should be like in castle1 the tunnel to the 2nd flag but all around the map and maybe the flag will be on a hill... In the mid ill put a hill and the houses r a little bit higher than the mid

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
but but but....
In between House and Mid is a ladder.
Ladder usually go from a higher area to a lower area and vice-versa.
I'm not seeing that in the drawing

Or are the listings that say "Higher" and "Lower" not just pertaining to the colored square, but to the whole room?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 12:19:34 PM »

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »
Or are the listings that say "Higher" and "Lower" not just pertaining to the colored square, but to the whole room?

No they just mark areas... The whole Second way is higher and the whole mid is lower

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 12:48:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm having a hard time interpreting the drawing as well.  It looks like you at least have a plan for how to go about making the map, though, and as long as you understand it, that's all that really matters.

Before you start making the map, though, I would suggest that you grab the tools and learn how to use them.  It's always good to make a test/learning map before you attempt to make a real map, so you don't spend a bunch of time on a major undertaking just to have to scrap the whole thing because it's too much of a mess to clean up.  Figure out how to make brushes, align textures, add lights, add entities, etc., so you'll be ready when you work on a real map.

Grab the build 15 BSP pack and start experimenting.  Make something simple and learn.  Make all of the things you plan to put in your full map and post the test map here so we can give some feedback on how to improve your methods before you make the full map.

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 01:34:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm having a hard time interpreting the drawing as well.  It looks like you at least have a plan for how to go about making the map, though, and as long as you understand it, that's all that really matters.

Before you start making the map, though, I would suggest that you grab the tools and learn how to use them.  It's always good to make a test/learning map before you attempt to make a real map, so you don't spend a bunch of time on a major undertaking just to have to scrap the whole thing because it's too much of a mess to clean up.  Figure out how to make brushes, align textures, add lights, add entities, etc., so you'll be ready when you work on a real map.

Grab the build 15 BSP pack and start experimenting.  Make something simple and learn.  Make all of the things you plan to put in your full map and post the test map here so we can give some feedback on how to improve your methods before you make the full map.

I guess the build015 BSP pack is the bsp editor?

2nd Yes i making small maps which include the things ill use in the real map... but they arent finished yet
3 The drawing isnt confusing =)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Here is a German tutorial which was made by Pimp:
http://www.pimpolino.ch.vu

It won't help for approx. 90% of the community, but it's a very good tutorial, to learn something about the major steps ;)

tom|vendett4

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »
If you send me a working picture of it, i'll do it :)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »
Posting screenshots on the forums would be nice, because then people dont have to open a new window to see screenshots that can be posted onto the forums
Thankz
-Termin8oR