Author Topic: Feature Request: Limit sv_minclientbuild  (Read 8010 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Feature Request: Limit sv_minclientbuild
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
What these 'hackers' are doing isn't hacking. 

Sure it is, hacking has a pretty loose definition.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 06:36:04 AM »
All of these people are just script-kiddies.  I never considered them a hacker.  I like the term cheater personally.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
It's not really that simple.  If server admins want people with older clients to be able to connect, they'll stop updating the server (hard enough to get them to update as it is).  Also, it will just force the need for a new cheat that works with a more current version of the game, which is more of a headache than just dealing with the already existing and detectable cheats.  I'd rather have somebody use a known cheat, get caught and banned, than have somebody find or create a new cheat that isn't currently detectable and get away with it.

Edit: But whatever... I'll put it up for vote anyway. http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10146

You... do have control to the server list.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:55:26 AM by P!nk »

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
Give me a server and I'll be trying :<

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
Starting up new servers won't do anything to help. Everybody knows GT, and plays on GT, despite their awful track record in admins, and their ridiculous player counts and map rotations. The only way we'll be able to change that habit, if needed, would be to remove GT from the serverlist again, or perhaps create some kind of anti-serverlist of servers that you can't join.

Obviously neither solution is a desirable one, but it's really a shame when a set of servers are driving a game more than the developer(s) is/are. Especially when said server admins don't seem particularly interested in moving the game forward.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Nah. I slowly got people onto the [kaf] servers, even if there were occasional lag spikes (and horrendous lag for people far away). At first there were just newbies... then more seasoned people came... etc. etc. To get the newbies on, I kept the respawn time low so they'd join. In addition, at the beginning, I used to run multiple [kaf] servers, even if none of the others were public, in order to essentially announce that [kaf] was not running on some cable connection.

If I had the resources, I would have kept upping the respawn time and spawned clan servers, but alas, I did not.

It just takes some psychological trickery and time. Look at all the other clan servers with a better connection and more dedicated CPU time that have come and gone over the months and years. You build a following and expand it. ;D

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »
[qehs] clan is probably the most successful new server. Why? because of the stuff that only appears on the serverlist: maps and players. If they see lots of players, they join, if they see a map that they like, then they join.. I have to go now.. school assembly.

*starts running to avoid getting told off

wafflez205

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
run pirate! run!

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
QeHs isn't really new... I don't think it's new at all.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »
maybe it's my noobieness that's only just seen it... or my internet.
[Qehs] pubs are really sucessful, though and I've started to see them up the respawn time. It gets quite full a lot of the time, and then a really rubbish map comes along (like of GT pub 0 - bombs away comes up) and it just dies for a few hours - or in the case of GT, a few days or weeks.

Oh and for the record I missed the assembly. :D

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:10:18 AM »
Oh and remember, they are Euro servers and what are you?  Euro?  What a guess.  But remember, if you are Euro at your time of the day the Euro servers are chocolate block full of people.  When you are in the US you will play on US servers, etc.  Consider yourself lucky that you live somewhere in the world where you have lots of people that play when you are awake with a ping lower than 100.

Somehow I think that went off topic :P.  Just wait until this gets implemented and KnacK will be satisfied.