Author Topic: New Map: Church Siege  (Read 1945 times)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
New Map: Church Siege
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
this  map is not final compiled yet so it is unlit   and is only beta 1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:44:18 PM by y00tz »

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
Re: newmap Church Siege
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0

and it is practically a copy of graveyard siege, light your map before even releasing your first beta try something completely original, you apparently know how to use bsp, use it a little more and then you'll know how to make a good lit map.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
lol thnx i think and it is lit just a had terroist final compile it 4 me bcause it takes 2 long on my computer

Holo

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
If this is your beta of this map, rename the map file to something like chsiege_b1.bsp

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
yes it was idk y the link says that i renamed it Church_Siege_b1

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
This map has a lot of problems:

- Always light maps that get posted, even if it takes forever.
- Gameplay hasn't really been thought through.
  - The map is so large inside that grabbing the flag and evading the defenders fire would be trivial.
  - The basement entrance offers no advantage whatsoever.
  - Same for the weird cracked glass roof.
  - The 'ripped off Grave.bsp' side entrance is so thin and short that its pointless using if the defenders are even half awake.
  - Whats the point in placing a VM-68 in the centre podium when you start with a carbine?
- There are some serious design oversights:
  - It's a moderate rip off of Grave.
  - The scale of everything is crazy.
  - Your textures are pretty uninspired and weird.
  - All the crate textures in the basement are misaligned.
  - The grass texture on the sides of the stairs to the basement makes no sense.
  - The weird block lighting on the roof of the basement is a very bad idea and looks rubbish.
  - The R_Speeds are MASSIVE. Over 7000 in places.
  - You've made no attempt to efficiently design the map so the VIS is any good, you really need to follow the tutorials on that.
  - The crack in the glass(?) on the roof is weird and theres a strange sticking out brush on the front of the building.
  - I'm not really that sure what communicates this as a church other than the name and the cross on the back wall.
  - You have water on 2 planes (on the fountain). Avoid this as it doubles the number of times the engine draws the scene due to the way the reflective water code works.
  - Why is that fountain indoors anyway?

Don't release maps as 'beta' that aren't even vaguely presentable. If it is still in raw development then it is an Alpha, and isn't fit for posting on the forum unless you are having problems or something. There are so many flaws here you could have fixed with some effort and attention to detail.

For all those who might want a proper church siege....stay tuned.

- Dr Rick Dagless M.D

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
lol most of that stuff happened by its selve i didnt make the glass like that and it wont fix and that thing in front idk wth it is it just appeared there lol

o and u can do a church map i dont want 2 anymore lol grave siege did good enough and ill stick with that map and imma go create a original map

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »

For all those who might want a proper church siege....stay tuned.

just splooged a little