Author Topic: Quake II Engine (C++ or JavaScript)  (Read 1734 times)

Fanoto

• PGP
Quake II Engine (C++ or JavaScript)
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:22:51 AM »
Simply need some advice. Hello, I already know some JavaScript, and know that it's a good all-around program, but C++ is great for creating more expansive games. The Quake II engine is available in both a C++ version and JavaScript version. I was wondering if there are any significant advantages for using one over the other performance wise. Any advise would be great, thanks in advance.

-Fanoto

IronFist

• Autococker
Re: Quake II Engine (C++ or JavaScript)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:13:08 AM »
I think you mean the Java quake 2 port, Jake2.

Either way, you won't be able to jump right in to things, especially if you're new to either C or Java. The Java port is almost a 1-to-1 rewrite of the original code, which doesn't fit with Java too well (everything is prefixed with the static keyword to pretend it's C). In short, I see no reason to base a game off it (look at JMonkey instead).

The quake 2 derivatives (warsow, dpball, etc.) are the superior choice.

However, you need to have some knowledge of the language you're working with before you plan this far ahead. Quake 2 is not among one of the easier engines to use these days.

Oh, yeah, it's java, not javascript.

Fanoto

• PGP
Re: Quake II Engine (C++ or JavaScript)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:00:09 AM »
I think you mean the Java quake 2 port, Jake2.

Either way, you won't be able to jump right in to things, especially if you're new to either C or Java. The Java port is almost a 1-to-1 rewrite of the original code, which doesn't fit with Java too well (everything is prefixed with the static keyword to pretend it's C). In short, I see no reason to base a game off it (look at JMonkey instead).

The quake 2 derivatives (warsow, dpball, etc.) are the superior choice.

However, you need to have some knowledge of the language you're working with before you plan this far ahead. Quake 2 is not among one of the easier engines to use these days.

Oh, yeah, it's java, not javascript.
Looks like I've got some studying to do than and yeah, meant to put Java, but second guessed myself. Thank you for your quick and detailed response.

-Fanoto