Author Topic: beta: ZIPPO  (Read 1986 times)

nXe

• Stingray
beta: ZIPPO
« on: December 21, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »
yo, porting some mapping skills over to dp design.  please download and test the map.  Things to take note of:

- I need feedback on the flow of the map.  Obviously, texturing, lighting, accesorizing, etc have not been touched on.   I think one of the more important aspects of what makes a great map (esp when it's for DP) is flow.  I tried to offer 2 main paths.  These paths are extremly fast routes between the flags.  By accessorizing with barrels and other architectural nuiances, hopefully that will slow down the main pathways a bit... I also wanted to offer side-routes... so that explains the mid routes... mixin it up a bit.

- Yeah the game mode, items, and spawns haven't even been touched on so don't bother commenting on those.

- Please simply jump around the map... base to base, flag spot to flag spot,  tell me how it feels... does it flow nicely? do you tend to run into any walls or corners? think there should be clipped spots?

anyways, the more feedback i get in the layout stage of Zippo, the better towards the final release.  For those of you willing to leave valid feedback, I thank you.

http://www.geocities.com/graffiti7071/zippo.zip

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: beta: ZIPPO
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »
Heh, from the top down it kinda looks like a skull.

It's kind of hard to determine what the flow will be like without the bunkers, barrels, items, etc. in place.  Those types of things will have a large impact on how players maneuver through the map.  Also, you didn't put indicators as to where the flags would be placed, so I can't comment much on that, either.  If you plan to put it where I think you do, you should have another path to the flag itself.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:41:53 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:03:56 AM by Dirty_Taco »

nXe

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:25:10 PM »
Yeah. I guess I made the mistake of releasing out for feedback too early.  Oh well.  I have some updated screenshots.

The main focus of this map is to have 2 main routes (your basic left and right route).  Since the them is cave-ish, icey, water, cave-ish (excuse my redundancy but whatever) I thought it would be appropriate to offer different z routes and paths that alter from the main routes.

I wanted to make this map a very fast map,  and it is indeed a fast map ( hence, you can rush your bum off if you really want too ) but, the alternating z routes offer death from above (or below) and spots for camping.  So it really mixes up gameplay.  I wonder how people will tend to play the map when it's done.

Anyways - screenshots... c&c plz

Keep in mind this is my first map for DP.  I'll plan on releasing more as i become enlightened with map ideas.  But i have to say that this is a pretty tight map being my first. :)

top - down

low side iced waterfall... ontop of the ice on the waterfall will be some items and allows for one of the two jumps to the cocker on the broken trough

broken trough / waterfall / trick barrel jump... should i make that water on the very bottom ice? slick?  the double jump works very nice over the barrels... cocker placement seems good

unfinished base... i feel like located the flag in the middle of the room instead of in the water (where i had planned it to be) flag placement feedback?

NOTE:  I haven't even touched the other main route. or the other base... refrain from any comments on that please

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »
You should really set/align your textures as you go.  It saves a lot of work in the long run.  The barrel tops, for example -- you can just create the barrel once, align the textures, lock them (alt-l) and clone it (ctrl-space) and not have to mess with any more alignment.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 09:09:28 PM »
That actualy looks quite nice. I yousto map for q2 mods i know how long it takes to get it perfect, maybe if the youngsters knew they wouldnt excrement on peoples works.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
SSHOTS are to dark, sorry nXe
But looks good so far.

-Termin8oR