Author Topic: Who here is good with car audio? Need some help.  (Read 2634 times)

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
Who here is good with car audio? Need some help.
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
Alright so i got this old sub/speaker, 15" .... just forgot the name of it, they are out of business now. Anyway its from the 80's and has been used by a band that played in my garage and they just left some equipment there so i don't know if its any good.

My question is how can i tell if this speaker is any good?
when i do hook it up nothing plays untill you push on the cone. BTW its not in a box.

Little help? I have other questions also.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Who here is good with car audio? Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
The voicecoil on the cone is probably wacked.

Usually they can't be rebuilt unless its by a reputable manufacturer.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
yah the speaker is probably fawked. i don't think you can use that type of speaker as a sub for you car either. i could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right.

what other questions do you have?

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
Yea, even if it did work it would be too big for my wrangler. Probably going to go with one 10" sub. Don't need anything crazy, but whats a decent sub and amp for my Jeep?

Would like to stay under $300?

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
Db Drive, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, just to name a few. just make sure to match the amp to the watts(or whatever) of the speaker.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:57:11 PM »
rms power not peak power.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
yah that. heh. haven't messed with car audio in years.

DuDe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »
Audiobon and Memphis. Memphis speakers is some of the best that i have ever heard seriously

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
Db Drive, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, just to name a few. just make sure to match the amp to the watts(or whatever) of the speaker.
price wise... stay away from these brands.... Plus depending on the sub you don't want to match the amp to the power ratings on the sub. Most subs should be pushed a bit over rms to get the best quality. Each brand worth a hoot will have all the info you need when you decide on a sub to help pick out a amp to work with it. Currently I am running two pioneer spl series in my new minivan. I'm waiting for my budget to allow me to replace  all my breakables with flex glass so I can turn up my subs a little. My last sub was I premier 12 that is rated 100watts rms/ 3000 watt peak. I was throwing a full 1668 watts to it and even with some burping and peak spikes the sub laughed at me.

Audiobon and Memphis. Memphis speakers is some of the best that i have ever heard seriously

Memphis is alright but audiobahn is garbage. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of your audio. Do you want to rattle crap? Do you love sound quality? There are quite a few brands that can hang with mainstream brands that won't damage your wallet. Give me a realistic budget, type of head unit you have, music you listen to, and I will be more than willing to do the research and find you some equipment that will preform great.
I would suggest 1 pioneer premier 10 shallow mounted subwoofer with a small true watt amp pushing about 350-400 watts. Stay small and sound good. If you have a yellow top in the jeep you won't have any dim issues even if you are running some extra off-road lighting. I don't know a lot about mapping or pc's but I do know my car audio. I have been doing that for about 16 years.

Where do you live? If it was close I have some jbl 10's just sitting in my garage that are awesome for a jeep. Sound descent, cheap so if you leave the top off and someone snatches them you can laugh about it. Best of all I would give them to a fellow gamer for free.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
Well I live in Pennsylvania, Philly area. Is $300 too low of a budget?
Right now i have a Kenwood KDC-135 headunit. Mostly looking for sound quality, and all I listen to is rock and metal.
Also i heard that the subs sound best when downfired in a jeep?

Let me know what you would recommend for a 10" and amp. I don't mind using ebay either, lot cheaper ;)

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »
If you already have a head unit an amp and sub is easy around the 300 dollar range. I'll do some looking and post some options tonight for ya. You are right about down firing the sub though. quite a few people sell complete packages of subs, amps and boxes made specifically for a jeep.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_330.htm

That is actually a great little setup but you can build it for less. The concept rocks though.