Author Topic: Attention Programmers or people who know java  (Read 6919 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Attention Programmers or people who know java
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »
In Soviet Russia, you don't light fires, fires light YOU!

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »
I didn't cheat, and I also got a first in my programming modules. Seeing as you cheated, can you actually program now? And how exactly did you pass your programming exams? (or was it a wussy all-coursework module?) If you can, why did you bother cheating? I didn't think you were the type.

The practicals just didn't interest me at uni, first job after taught me what real programming was all about, in the words of my mentor "You know all the programming stuff you learnt at uni? Forget it now" I've been employed as a programmer for over 2 years now so hopefully I can :P

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »
So you're saying the moral of the story is 'don't pay attention at school/uni, and just cheat your way through because nothing you learn there is relevant'?

It's funny, because I use a lot of what I was taught at uni at my new job, especially in terms of programming and web-based systems. A phrase that I've heard a LOT from other graduates I know is 'I wish I'd paid more attention in *insert module name*, you don't realise how valuable that is'. As a faculty rep in my final year I had to give a pep talk to a bunch of militant second years who were complaining about a core module (TCP/IP Networking, FYI) because they said it was boring (which was true) and that it isn't useful. I had to explain that if there was one module I'd wished I had paid attention to and not dossed about in, it was that one, because when I worked in British Telecom's R&D dept, I didn't know what the hell was going on - it was all in that modules notes.

Basically - don't cheat, pay attention at school and always try your best to learn new things, you never know when it'll come in handy - and if you're having to learn something related to a career you want, you'll almost certainly regret not trying harder. If you cheat and someone expects that you can do something you can't, you're going to look like an idiot. A morally dubious idiot.

- Dag

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:40 AM »
So you're saying the moral of the story is 'don't pay attention at school/uni, and just cheat your way through because nothing you learn there is relevant'?

It's funny, because I use a lot of what I was taught at uni at my new job, especially in terms of programming and web-based systems. A phrase that I've heard a LOT from other graduates I know is 'I wish I'd paid more attention in *insert module name*, you don't realise how valuable that is'. As a faculty rep in my final year I had to give a pep talk to a bunch of militant second years who were complaining about a core module (TCP/IP Networking, FYI) because they said it was boring (which was true) and that it isn't useful. I had to explain that if there was one module I'd wished I had paid attention to and not dossed about in, it was that one, because when I worked in British Telecom's R&D dept, I didn't know what the hell was going on - it was all in that modules notes.

Basically - don't cheat, pay attention at school and always try your best to learn new things, you never know when it'll come in handy - and if you're having to learn something related to a career you want, you'll almost certainly regret not trying harder. If you cheat and someone expects that you can do something you can't, you're going to look like an idiot. A morally dubious idiot.

- Dag

You almost sound like a parent there Dr. Rick ;D

Good Job

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I'm going to be a DYNAMITE old man, gathering all the neighbourhood youths round and telling them stories of when computers used to be so big they had to go under your desk instead of these new fangled nanoscale brain implants, and when DP2 was Alpha 6, and not Alpha 3261 (stil backwards compatible to Alpha 003).

- Dag

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »
rofl!

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
well i did them on my own, if that makes you happen DrRickDaglessMD.
I just wanted to help someone out if they wanted $10
:)

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
I'm taking an info tech degree course and will be requiring a lot of help. So please keep that in mind when I get to the programming courses and start spamming this forum for help. lol

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:48 AM »
PM me for java programming help.  I always enjoy a good challenge.