Author Topic: New Map: 4Flag Warfare (previously Warehouse Warfare)  (Read 7579 times)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Warehouse Warfare
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
1. maybe change name.. doesnt really seem like a ware house

2. still dont think you should be able to walk on the cables. i mean they are just there for show right?

3. looks better :)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
Thank you very much for all for the comments.

1. maybe change name.. doesnt really seem like a ware house
:D
I didn't have the sky before and it was a different texture (which looked horrible). So i changed it to a sky.
Maybe something like... enclosed warfare? I can't think of a name for it lol. Might change it later. :D

2. still dont think you should be able to walk on the cables. i mean they are just there for show right?
Whereas before there were just the 2 cables, with an auto at the end of each them. Then I decided that it was ridiculously hard to get to them and decided to put the wooden beam accross and put the auto in the middle. I then saw that it made it harder and added in the transparent flooring. I then saw that you couldn't get shot from below so i made holes in it. :D
Even if I do get rid of the cables, what's holding up the entire structure? just 1 wooden pillar? I think not.
Therefore, I might as well put an extra pillar there and delete the cables, or at least shorten them.

3. looks better :)
Cheers :D Thanks for all of the tips you've been giving me.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
im not trying to say delete the cables just maybe make the surface "slick" so that if you try to walk along them you will just slide off. ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »
I've uploaded the map to the beta server (see pm).  I've also attached a demo pointing some things out to revise.  You really need to work on your texture alignment and grid usage.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »
Thank You Very Much.
For those who can't be bothered to download the demo, here are the things that he suggested:

1) The Lights are too dark and Misaligned (using a 16 unit grid solves this)
2) The big, thin planks that you walk on after going up the very top ladder have texture rotation problems. :D
3) The transparent platform looks unnatural becauise I (somehow) managed to set a value on them
4) The concrete jail covering looks unnatural as I have locked the textures on a random grid and moved them as though i were drunk
5) The general 4 walls are misaligned
6) The 3 wooden coloured walls that act as defense barriers should have been ,ade with a 16 grid so that they align
7) The supports for the bases should have been made out of wood (not forgetting to rotate the texture)

That's pretty much it. Cheers, Jits!

xav93

• PGP
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
there should be at least some way to get ontop of the crates that does not involve going onto the higher levels. i think that there could be a double jump by a few of the crates

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
there should be at least some way to get ontop of the crates that does not involve going onto the higher levels. i think that there could be a double jump by a few of the crates

2nd ;)

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 08:25:22 AM »
The reason why I did was because I knew that people would not weant to go onto the low level

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
New beta version finished!

I have a feeling that it is going to be ridiculously light for the rest of you (as I have a dull monitor). But I did take the gamma off for the screens so hopefully it's okay!.

New changes:

1)  Taken the value off the transparent glass
2)  Metal supports for the transparent glass slickened
3)  Re-made the base and made the base entity taller to ensure cap when not touching the base (tell me if I need to change this)
4)  Re-made the lights and brightened them
5)  Aligned lights
6)  Planks above the entrance to the concrete tunnel have been rotated
7)  Re-made wooden base hiding things using a 16 unit grid
8)  Base supports re-made with a wooden structure
9)  Thin planks at top of bridge rotated 90 degrees
10) Concrete jail covering re-made to avoid repeating patterns(most done - some of it wont work!)
11) Gaps in stairs fixed
12) Jail ladder textures re-made with locking textures
13) Jail ladder made thinner
14) Big wodden planks in base re-aligned (small mis-alignment)

Screens removed for thread-size purposes - see latest beta
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:03:31 PM by i_am_a_pirate »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:55 AM »
New Beta! Sorry for all the double posts, but this is a bump as well as a new release.
New route added in (some textures not fully done yet - alignment, etc.)

Edit
Taken out screens for thread-size purporses - see latest beta
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:01:22 PM by i_am_a_pirate »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:57 AM »
bump

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
Can someone PLEASE reply to my new releases! I've spent many hours on this map, and the latest version hasn't even had any comments

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
Alright, here we go:

I like the idea of 2 whiteflags, but I dislike that they're so far away from the main action!

Screen 1:  please fix your entities, check the bsp editor's entity help for correct values

Screen 2 + 3: bad texture choice there. Plus, why is it flagged with that slippery mode flag?

Screen 4: I'd rather see something else as texture there as well

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »
?
You mean, like b00nlander's post that you just posted after?

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Okay, angry post edited/deleted. :$ Didn't actually see that he had posted (thought it was one of my new release screens.
Very Sorry

As for the corrections:
I origionally had the bar unslippery, but people objected and didn't like the idea.
I have deleted the keys and values for the console stuff, but it still appears. Do I have to re-make the entities?
As for the textures, could someone reccomend a floor texture?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
I've uploaded the new beta to the beta server and recorded a demo.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »
anything else before i release the new beta bearing i mind that i have moved the 2 white flags and got rid of the extra rooms?

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
Re: New Map: 4Flag Warfare (previously Warehouse Warfare)
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
-------NEW-------

I have changed the map filename/mapname to 4flag.

NEW STUFF:
1) Tiles ALL aligned
2) Changed where the white flags are
3) Added a ladder-jump route to the main flags
4) Changed the plank texture on the side of the big box thing to a sort of metaillic brick thing (depends on if you're using high-res textures)
5) LOTS of texture problems solved
6) Fixed all the entities! (givecartridge=20 and gun_type=autococker)
7) Lots of other minor details that I've forgotten

I was wondering (just throwing it out here) if I should make the high white flag worth more points than the normal coloured flags. I've also restarted the beta numbering. Sorry if it's confusing Comments please. :D
bump, bump, bumpedy bump.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 02:05:46 AM »
Couple small suggestions: I wouldn't put the support post on top of the crates.  That doesn't really make sense.  Also, the boards that the white flag sits on (and under it) are a bit thick for my tastes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
Just realized I had the older version up on the beta server.  I've put 4flag_b1 in rotation now.

One thing we noticed while playing the older version (and this still applies to the new one) - the ladders could be really frustrating.  You should set them up so you can only climb in a way that you won't hit your head, or add some clip brushes so you go straight up through (or do whatever other modifications are necessary).  Sucks to climb up a ladder while somebody is chasing you only to hit your head and get stuck because you didn't go up the ladder just right.  Not sure if I like the new flag placement, but I haven't really play tested it, so I can't say for certain.