Author Topic: xperiance points  (Read 4010 times)

godzilla

• Stingray
xperiance points
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »
i have been playing wolfenstein ET lately, and i noticed that as you play the game you get xp points.

the xp points then go towards skill and how good your player is. you gain certain abilitys, like extra ammo, mor grenades, and more health
in some servers xp saves for 30 days some for ever.

i was wondering would it be possible to do in paintball?

green= xp
red= skills

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: xperiance points
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:43 AM »
Possible, yes. Would it be a good idea? Not at all.

godzilla

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »
Possible, yes. Would it be a good idea? Not at all.

why not a good idea?

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »
1) You need statistics tracking. Picking an official algorithm to determine player skill and being sure that cheating cannot affect rankings much (ie: cheaters can have stats wiped as if they'd never existed to affect the ranks of others) is an extremely difficult task.

2) Unlocks sound neat, but can sometimes be a bad idea. In BF2, there's a first tier of weapon unlocks that are sometimes better than the standard weapons. Worse, though, is a second tier of unlocks if you own the "spec ops" expansion, which grants you things like flashbangs and an extremely accurate sniper rifle which are definitely unfair to lower-ranked players (especially new people).

A better idea is to motivate people with donations. Natural Selection does something very simple: they have a system where you can donate to receive a "constellation member" icon beside your name in-game. It's subtle, but a lot of people have them, and it's a good way to show support for the game while feeling like you got something tangible for it.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:55:02 AM »
I like the ranking in ET but you can`t do it in Paintball like there...

You can pick up better weapons with a good ranking?
You can hold 2 pgp`s and shot at the same time? (lol idea)

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »
NAW i rather have tanks

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:46 AM »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »
I say that when you donate, the server realises and you get something cool happen, so if someone specs you, then they can see (like an icon - although that may be confusing) and differnent levels of donating get different rewards. You might call it a shop rather than donating.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 04:24:51 AM »
why make it harder for people to get into the game? from what i can see it's already difficult for people to make the leap from "noob" to "intermediate", aka "decent". your're asking to throw a huge barrier in the path of that and make the best better.

good that you're thinking, but not a good policy for improving this game overall.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
psst... dude, this thread is 3 months old...

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »
That's like my topic. But anyways I never knew Wolfenstein ET used xperiance points.