Author Topic: My First New Map- ifm  (Read 2657 times)

ip0d

• VM-68
My First New Map- ifm
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
This is my first map so dont rip on me to hard.
http://rapidshare.com/files/212360425/ifm.bsp.html

sean123

• VM-68
Re: My First New Map- ifm
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
LOOKS GOOD I PLAYED IT FOR HIS FIRST MAP

1 FLAG FOR EACH BASE
 BUT IT LOOKS LIKE A CAMPING MAP

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »
sean, why do you insist on typing in caps all the time? it is REALLY annoying

EDIT: i meant sean

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
how bout trying to light it first, in my opinion it looks lie a horrible attempt at a blitz remake

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
blitz and airtime =]

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
ah the hard critique.. it will get better ipod just thrash this map and make a couple more till you get something good people will like and then post it.. good luck

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
looks good for a first map.
Try tinker around with an upper level & a vision blocker in the middle. It should help add a bit more depth to the map.
keep it up

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »
When releasing a new map, here are the steps you need to go through before it's finalized.

1) Build the map to completion as best you can.  Align all of your textures, run a final compile to get full vis and lighting.

2) Give the map a beta extension (example: yourmap_beta1.bsp), and zip it if you're releasing any other media with the map.  Be sure to include the directory structures as follows:
pball/maps/beta/yourmap_beta1.bsp
pball/textures/yourtextures/yourtexture1.jpg
pball/textures/yourtextures/yourtexture2.jpg

Players wanting to test the map should be able to simply extract the zip to their paintball2 directory.  Beta maps should always be kept in the maps/beta directory to avoid clutter in the maps directory.  Also, be sure to use all lowercase for the map file name.  Some OS's are case sensitive and if you use different cases, it can cause problems.

3) Create a new post in the Mapping Forum containing the following:
- A brief description of the map (be sure to mention different game modes if there are any).
- A couple screenshots of the map to give an overall idea (no need to go overboard and try to cover every square inch of the map - just enough to give an idea of what the map looks like).
- The above zip (either as an attachment or link).

4) If the map is considered complete enough for beta testing, it will be put in rotation on the beta server for play testing.

5) Listen to the feedback people provide and make changes as necessary.

6) Post a new beta of the map, increasing the beta number (yourmap_beta2.bsp, yourmap_beta3.bsp, ...).

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the bugs, texture misalignments, gameplay problems, and other issues are worked out.  The final map should just be the last beta renamed.  After the map has gone through sufficient testing and no errors are found, it will be moved to the completed maps subforum.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:58:50 PM »
ip0d, do what Knack said and some other things you might want to change. Barrels are 5 sided, looks little blocky, make 'em 8 sided. They're also missing the top texture, you need to put that. Flag is bad in the corner, easy camp.

And finally, if you really want to impress people here, i'll tell you something. Cut it from middle, drag the ends apart and shape it like ans S, then you have palyable map. (also you may impress more people...)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 06:24:42 AM »
Yeah yeah first map...blah blah blah...

Throw it away as fast as you can. Learn, or if already learnt then do, make something more interesting. Try something you haven't seen before (the airtime jump in the middle of Blitz does not qualify).

Your map is a box. A BOX! Not even a box, but a very plain uninteresting box. AirTime is a box with two small boxes attached, in general. Your map doesn't have to be all wickety-wack, but at least put some thought into it.

For every map I ever released there are at least 5-7 that have never left my PC. I have maps that are just pieces and parts that I just experimented with. I have at least eight maps I've started in the past three months that will probably never be seen. Don't be afraid to trash your learning maps. And don't be too anxious to "release" something. A bad release, like that which you have done here, will not make it easy for you to grab people's attention whenever you finally release something descent.

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05:14 AM »

so true. Just an example: Chef-Killer's first map was anubis. http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5118.0
Do you see any differents between those 2 "first-maps" ?

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »

Your map is a box. A BOX! Not even a box, for you to grab people's attention whenever you finally release something descent.

Yea my next map will not be a box.But i cant figure out how to move the walls in the shape i want.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »
In every 2D screen you can click and drag from corners of brushes, that's one way. You can also use clipping planes, Shift+Right click, and then press the the clip button. Buttos is like blue with red stripe or something like that...

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »
alright thnx