Author Topic: kalaw_beta1  (Read 1750 times)

KalTorak

• PGP

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: kalaw_beta1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
It's beautiful!

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:50:50 PM »
Looks good, like the use of the textures and the new things you've used. Don't see to much of that.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:00:40 PM »
The only thing I'd suggest (visuals-wise) is to give the terrain phong shading.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »
I few notes on the release:
- Always use lowercase.  Linux is a case-sensitive pain in the butt, so it will be looking for the textures in the "kaltorak" directory and won't find them because they're in "KalTorak."
- Keep beta maps in the pball/maps/beta directory so they don't clutter up the main maps directory.
- Make sure you have proper permission to use the textures you have.  I'm not sure where you go these or if you've already taken care of that, but just make sure they're safe to use.

And the map:
- I like the lighting.  It has good atmosphere.
- Disappointed that you're still using all autocockers.  This map is too small for that much spray.
- The cylinder things in the bases are floating.
- The base of the main hills don't meet up with the ground properly - they're a few units below.
- Also in that area, the texture alignment is different, so you can see a sharp edge where the texture doesn't continue properly.
- The wooden structure things -- you need to align all the wood so the grain goes along the length of it, otherwise it looks funny.  Looks good on the sides, but the bottoms and the posts look weird.
- The window ledges also need to be aligned.
- I don't really like the giant red brick texture or whatever it is.  It detracts from some of the more realistic looking textures in the map.  A little color in that area isn't a bad idea, though, but you should have something blue on the blue side of the map, too.
- The industrial cement type texture also looks out of place.
- The ladder rungs should be smaller, also the bottom/top edges of them need to be aligned properly.

KalTorak

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
thank you all for the wonderful posts - im just testing some new textures out and i can tell it's definately taking the right step forward.  jit, as usual you point out everything that needs to be fixed and it's definately much appreciated -- you made a list of stuff i can fix so i dont forget - you're the man :)

my bad about the uppercase folder i didn't intend for that to happen, i even thought about it beforehand but i overlooked it.  autocockers weren't intentional either it was just to test the map out and see how the textures looked.  they look differently in BSP for some reason - it must've been the way i converted them over with Wally...

other than that the little things can easily be fixed, i just need a better system to compile this faster!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:28:56 PM »
You need to use the paintball2 palette in wally, otherwise they'll end up looking like random colors because Quake2's palette is different.