Author Topic: just a little question :)  (Read 1046 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
just a little question :)
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
Wireless N.  Firstly, to start with, my computer is running of Wireless atm as I've just moved house and theres no ethernet port anywhere near it.  Got a wireless N USB adaptor thing and it works fine.  The only problem is that when I start running too many processes that require using the connection it just cuts off, and then the computer just freezes until the connection comes back.

I sorta have the impression that having the wireless adaptor sitting behind a 415V 3 Phase connection running through the walls might have something to go with it, but I've gotten a USB extension lead and moved the adaptor away from the power connection, but it makes no difference.  I can't really play any games over the net with this happening, and I dont get my CAT 5E port installed in the room until 1 there is a place for the computer to go and 2 when I get dad to go under the house and install it.  Probably 3-4 months I'd imagine.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: just a little question :)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:23:01 AM »
Cameron,

I've seen that happen with other USB devices as well.

Once thing you could do is set up a wireless bridge.

Essentially you get another wireless router, like a WRT54G from Linksys for example, and have it conenct wirelessly to yourt existing WAP, then you can use CAT 5 to connect to that new router.

THis is exactly how I have internet set up in my shop.  I use 2 directional wireless antennas connected to the wireless routers spanning almost 1000 feet.  Works great.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
I've got some of my old routers here, so i'll give that a shot.  I didn't actually think of that, probably the last thing that would've ever popped into my head :P.  But being over wireless it won't stop packet loss will it?  Thats one of the main problems with online games, but its just the signal strength that I want to fix atm.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
You should be fine