Author Topic: Killing Floor  (Read 1009 times)

Justinph5

• Autococker
Killing Floor
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
An indie L4D, which is cheaper, for people who don't wanna spend too much money.

I'm downloading it right now, so I suggest people to do the same and they can play with me. It supports 6 player co-op.

The pre-sale is only $14.99 and it releases today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Killing Floor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
I've played this for several years and hosted LAN parties with it. IT'S meddling AWESOME.

I also have left4dead, and frankly prefer Killing Floor.

I will continue to use the UT2004 mod version for LAN parties though, as it's free and you can jack the players up to 8 and above.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be much new in the retail version other than some graphical improvements and slow-mo. I've already preordered and preloaded.

Steam ID?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
I'm going to grab the ut2004 version so I don't have to use Steam.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08:57 AM »
L4D Defense Squad time!

So, a lot of L4D's appeal is that it looks meddling fantastic. That's not generally a great metric to measure games by, but given the genre and how incredibly atmospheric everything is, I think it's a big plus for L4D. Expert with friends is crazy-hard and crazy-fun.
And that's just co-op. If L4D was just co-op it wouldn't be half the game it is. Versus is where it's all at-- and not pub versus, either. 95% of pub versus games are absolute excrement. I've been in a bunch of high-level clan PUGs, though, and they're really fantastic. The infected side is all about setting up and executing the perfect ambush, or finding tiny holes in the survivor's formation or play that lets you pull one of them... then pounce, pounce, game over. Surviving is much more fun, imo (partially because I suck at being a hunter). Constant communication, predicting the infecteds' moves, and trying to balance item-hunting with progressing is required to even have a hope of getting through a level alive. The competitive scene is kind of reeling from the huge changes valve keeps pushing out, but given the popularity of the game I've no doubt that it'll rebound bigtime once everything stabilizes. The scoring system is perfect too, because once they find some way to balance item spawns a bit more (they're already almost fine-- from time to time one team lucks out and gets like 5 pills and 3 healthpacks in a level while the other gets none of either) there'll be no such thing as imbalance in a match. Survival can be fun for a quick causal game among friends, of course.

Anyway, I like L4D because it's a competitive SP game. I'm sure this game is fantastic as well, but don't tell me L4D is worse (That's not what you said, I know :) ) when you haven't even dug into it yet.