Author Topic: Brightness  (Read 2266 times)

Herron

• VM-68
Brightness
« on: June 25, 2003, 10:34:01 AM »
I'm sure this has gone around and around, but seeing as how I never visit the boards, I thought I'd say my piece separately.

How exactly am I supposed to be able to even play the map 'sandtrap' ?  When it's impossible to see under the tower, and I run into the base what exactly am I supposed to do? Just run in and die everytime? Because if that's what I am supposed to be doing, I guess I am a master of the map.  The 'id' command is worthless in that situation and people have suggested to me that I should just use Quake 2, but I'd kind of like to get used to the new paintball 2.0 but I see that I made a poor mistake.  Not only can I not see, but the game being limited in max fps where I am used to 130 just does not make it enjoyable.  There is a _NOTICABLE_ difference in the smoothness due to this and it gets annoying.

Sooo... boo lighting and boo fps cap.

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
Re: Brightness
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 11:08:06 AM »
I can see fine in Sandtrap.  Turn your gamma up.

If the game is noticably choppy at 60fps, then it's not actually running at 60fps.  Try using cl_cmdrate 60 or 90 to smooth things out.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 11:15:30 AM »
i've tried it as high as 120, it doesn't do anything

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 02:19:56 PM »
hey make sure vsync is off in your vid card properties and try this...

cl_locknetfps 0
gl_swapinterval 0
cl_cmdrate 60

this maxes out your fps but still works with dial up or slower connections

It works great for me i get 150-200 fps in dp 2.0

as for the brightness you can try...

vid_gamma_hw 1
vid_gamma 0.4 or lower

The hardware gamma makes the dark spots visible (at least more visible) without making everything else too bright

With hardware gamma on my card i can see fairly well inside the castles on antioch.

Also make sure the gl_overbright is set to 0

Hope this helps

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 03:12:41 PM »
Grr, this is one of the things that really ticks me off when people complain about it.  YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO SEE IN THE DARK, OK?  Sheesh.  I consider high gl_modulate values to be a cheat -- a "wallhack" for shadows, if you will.  You're able to see things you shouldn't.  It also makes the maps look really ugly, turning all my hard work into <fill in the blank>.  So, you should start finding ways to use shadows to your strategical advantage.  I'm trying to turn this game into something more than hopping around and shooting.  Also, sandtrap & clones should be taken out of rotation.</rant>

As for the packet cap -- I'm trying to work out a way to make the game smooth without sending insane numbers of packets out to the server.  It's still under construction, so it's kind of choppy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 03:16:16 PM by jitspoe »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 04:02:57 PM »
okay--i saw the </rant>, but wheres the <rant>???

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 09:01:31 PM »
Jit,
didnt you mention something about a new server soon? Please say you will have control of the maplist!

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 02:34:07 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:12:08 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 07:15:17 PM »
What map, and what framerates are you getting?