Author Topic: Monitor + TV question  (Read 2368 times)

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
Monitor + TV question
« on: September 06, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »
So I just got a 26" LCD TV for my dorm room at school.  I would like to plug it into my computer via vga.  I'm running 2 nvidia Geforce 8600GT XXX's in SLI and each has 2 dvi outs so I'm set with outputs.  I mainly want to do this so I can maybe use my TV as a monitor sometimes, but most likely just to watch DVD's from my computer since I don't have a DVD player.  If I have both hooked up at the same time and the TV off, or even the TV on but just watching TV and not using the computer input.  Will it use any of my resource from my computer even if nothing is being displayed?  Also would I have to change my resolutions to use my comp through the TV for DVD's and will it look any good?

sean123

• VM-68
Re: Monitor + TV question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
hey i have a s  video cord and on the other side it is a ir cord will it work

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »
No it wont use any resources if hooked up and not used.

It will apear to your graphics card(s) as just another monitor so you will be able to set it to the correct resolution that your tv requires.

No worries.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
I've been using a 42" to play dp since I started. It's my all in one entertainment system. If your lcd is high def then I would suggest running a dvi to hdmi adpater if you do not have a dvi in on the lcd. The resolution can be adjusted through w/e video card you have as Knackers said. You will need to check your tv's resolution prior to hooking it up becuase there is a small chance you will not be able to see the screen after it starts booting windows.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
How much would a dvi to hdmi adapter be about?

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
30 bucks for a nice one at your local radioshack. check wallyworld for a cheaper version or best buy.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »
Mine was free with one of my video cards :D, the main thing you have to do is some color correction on a tv, they tend to be overly bright. Another thing is you need to most likely resize it to fit. My 42" tv has that problem, and I only use it to watch movies from my computer.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:29:41 AM »
www.monoprice.com for a dvi to hdmi adaptor.  I think I paid less than 10 for mine.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:52 AM »
So I take it a chord with a dvi on one end and hdmi on the other will work just as well as a dvi to hdmi adaptor?  Since buying one chord is cheaper than buying an adapter and then an hdmi chord.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker