Author Topic: New map - badlands2test  (Read 3778 times)

RuiNeR

• PGP
New map - badlands2test
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:53:10 AM »
www.geocities.com/jkostans/badlands2test.zip

I made that, let me know what you think. Would be cool to test with like 8-10 people if possible. It def looks better than the original, and I think it plays better but I'm going to let you be the judge. Sorry if you can't download because of bandwidth or whatever. Feedback is mandatory if you download it biotches.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: New map - badlands2test
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 03:10:56 AM »
Yay! Someone's remaking it

EDIT:

Okay, critique!
It looks great. Turn up the light resolution for the final compile!
What's with the magic disembodied light in the middle of the cage? I think that would look better if there was an opening  to the sky...
The cave would look absolutely beautiful if it was more rounded and natural at the top...
The inside of the castle could use some light.
The path main path is a little thin. Wider would be much better.
Also, the paths are bland. They need some obstacles.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:30:19 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:50:39 AM by P!nk »

RuiNeR

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:51:17 PM »
I think it kinda looks like the dodge ram symbol

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:03:11 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 06:47:49 PM »
I like P!nk's idea, but how about letting the defenders press a button to raise it for a few seconds...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:27:10 AM »
Looks good so far.  A few nitpicks and suggestions, though:

- Rotate the textures on the ladder rungs.
- Create actual light sources for the light in the caves.
- Add some lights in the castle -- it's all dark and splotchy in some areas.
- I know it would be a pain, but it would be nice if the walls were taller so you could jump while on the roof without hitting your head on the sky.
- Like the original badlands, it's a bit difficult to find the flag for people new to the map.  It would be helpful to have some arrows or something to direct people to it.
- I'd suggest adding a second major path as DSM.  Open it up if, say, 6 or more people are playing.  Fill in the void at the top (of P!nk's screenshot).

RuiNeR

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:01:50 AM »
All good idea so far, but one problem I'm having is that im hitting the limit of vis numportals or whatever. I had to makes tons of brushes "detail" brushes in order for it to compile right. I also can't preview tha map unless I do a full vis because I get GZ_GetSpace overflows in-game. For a while I just put a huge brush covering half of the map so I could just do a vis and preview changes I made to one side but that's a pain in the a-hole too. I'll work on it when I get some more time, and post a new version or whatever. Thanks everyone so far, and keep the comments coming.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:49:17 AM »
Wow, the map doesn't seem big enough to be causing all those problems.  Are you using the build15 BSP pack?  Oh, and make sure you do a "final compile" to get the lighting to look good.  Right now it's really blocky.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:02:59 AM by Dirty_Taco »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:58:25 PM by IronFist »

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 01:29:35 PM »
Aside from everything jitspoe said, the shadow direction from the sun doesn't match up with the sun in the sky that you're using.  Also in the caves there's a map gap in the rock ceiling, which causes a really dark area when lit, see attachment(this was noticed on blue side at least).

Nice work otherwise!

RuiNeR

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 09:27:12 AM »
Yeah I'm using the BSP1.5 pack. I'm pretty sure the "final compile" batch crashes, but I'll try it again. The map may not be huge, but I think the problem area is the bases because it is very open, and there are a ton of brushes visible. It's not vis friendly at all, but oh well. I'm going to have to resort to more detail brushes if I want to raise the sky and add another path, but I will try. Here's my list fo things to do:

-Create light source for the cave
-Add some lighting and light sources to flag room
-Add color to indicate bases
-Possibly add some obstables to the middle area, and upper pathway (As you can tell I'm not a big fan of excessive barrels, boxes and other useless clutter)
-Raise the sky enough to allow jumping off the highest parts, bu not enogh to allow ridiculous double jumps.
-Widen the middle area in some spots
-Add an additional DSM path
-Correct texture/brush irregularities

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
I don't know that widening the main path is really necessary if you add an additional DSM path for more players.  Have you tried adding some hint brushes to help vis out a little?

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 02:36:42 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:02:54 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
Sorry for riviving this thread.

I just went thorugh my map folder and saw Badlands2test and I wondered if there's any new version or if its just stopped as the test version.