Author Topic: The offical ALPHA 3 BUG topic!  (Read 1621 times)

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
The offical ALPHA 3 BUG topic!
« on: June 12, 2003, 10:09:39 AM »
PLEASE restrict posts in this topic to bug reports or possible solutions.

So far these are the current issues with alpha 3 that I've encountered.

- The game runs choppy.  With vsync off, cl_drawfps still reports that I'm getting ~200fps.  However, the game runs choppy and feels more like 15-20fps.  I've talked to others who also have this problem, so I'm not alone here.  cl_locknetfps was suggested, but did not help.  This problem occurs with both vsync off and on.

SOLUTION: Increase the value of your cl_cmdrate cvar (to around 200 or 300 worked for me.  The game will run smoothly again (Thanks Bain).

- The hud is all funky-looking, and many of the numbers don't show up.  The numbers that seemingly don't show up are 0-5 and 8.  vid_restart was suggested, and actually made things worse.  Blurring out most of the pictures on the HUD.  This could possibly be another bug.

UPDATE: It turns out that this only happens on a server (at least in my case).  When playing locally, I get all the numbers on the HUD.  Weird.

Screenshot of the HUD:
Before vid_restart (I have 98 ammo):

After vid_restart:

- Last bug... FIX THE darn FORUMS!  I'm tired of staring at a white background and a bunch of red X's!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 12:51:11 PM by Mister_Zimbu »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
Re: The offical ALPHA 3 BUG topic!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 03:01:36 PM »
My suggestion: Make the cl_cmdrate maximum 120 rather than the current 80.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 06:25:36 PM »
how do you get the bots to work? (no, i don't have the readme) ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 07:33:44 PM »
Sending 120 packets a SECOND is insane...  I'd rather work out ways to get the movement smoothed out with lower packet rates.  Gah, the q2 code is horrendous.

Also, fixed the problem with the HUD images disappearing.  New build going up shortly.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 09:24:19 PM »
Ok, here's the fix.  It also fixes some problems with demo playback.  The readme actually includes a list of all the new cvars and what they do (that was a lot of work to put together, heh).

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetquake/digitalpaint/paintball2_a3toa4_patch.zip

Extract to c:\ or c:\games or wherever your paintball2 folder is.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 09:24:56 PM by jitspoe »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 01:34:25 PM »
There's a small amount of jump difference with.. say. cl_maxfps 120 in regular quake, and cl_cmdrate 80. It's strange, and undoubtedly a long expolited bug with quake2 - but when used well it presents an advantage.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 05:30:58 PM »
Yeah, I know, and I'm trying to make it so that the physics and whatnot are independent of the framerate.