Author Topic: Foreign (Non-QWERTY) Keyboards  (Read 1801 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Foreign (Non-QWERTY) Keyboards
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
With build 16 I added support for all keyboards, however, it's been brought to my attention that some of the keys on various keyboard layouts do not work, such as ö ä ü.  This is because these keys simply do not exist in the game and cannot be used.  The character set is limited to just English characters.  If you have a non-US keyboard and wish to use the old QWERTY layout like in the previous builds, this is what you need to do (in Windows XP):

Start | Settings | Control Panel
Regional and Language Options
Languages tab
Details...
Add
Select "English (United States)" for the first box and "US" for the second.
OK
OK

You should then have a little blue icon with two letters on it.  These depend on your language setting.  German would be "DE."

Start Paintball2 up in windowed mode.
Click on the icon and select "English (United States)."  It should then say "EN" and your keys in paintball will be like they used to be.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Foreign (Non-QWERTY) Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
Do you have to start up in windowed mode every time you switch keyboard layouts?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:50:20 PM »
I think once you switch layouts, windows remembers the layout for that application.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
I just tried it with notepad/outlook and the french canadian keyboard layout and it didn't remember it when I closed it and re-opened it.
Also, is this Win9x compatible?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »
Hmm, I guess you're right.  I could have sworn it remembered because I use dvorak and have to set stuff to qwerty if other people want to use my computer, but then I go back to use things again and they're still set to qwerty.  Oh well.  I guess I'll re-add the old keyboard support.  So much for simplifying the code. :)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 05:14:27 PM »
I think once you switch layouts, windows remembers the layout for that application.

I think you give windows too much credit :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »
Actually, it was an annoyance when it did it.  I'd switch the layout back to dvorak and some things wanted to keep using qwerty, so I'd have to completely delete the qwerty layout option to get everything to work right.  I guess it just doesn't do it when it's practical. :)