Author Topic: light  (Read 1548 times)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
light
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
my map refuses to light the sky no idea why... any explanations??

Spook

• Autococker
Re: light
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »
Yes, with the abundant information you have given us, the answer is sure to be you screwed something up.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
Either

A. You didn't check the "sky" in the surfaces window.
B. You didn't add a value in the surfaces window.
C. You didn't select a compiler that includes lighting.
D. You have too many lights and they're not compiling anymore. (I personally hate this one, it's messing with my zenith map right now)
E. You added something weird in the worldspawn entity. (Such as a wrong _sun_angle or _sun_value)

Somewhat along the same topic, is there a way to increase the number of lights a map can have?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »
i've done all of those still not working... spook go die you do nothing for this game besides complain and try to make fun of people... all you do is wait for me to post and than boom u show up and spam random posts

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »
Do you get any errors while compiling?

What compiler are you using?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »
max patches in all caps

final

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
Well theres your problem. MAX_PATCHES :)

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13055.0

COMPILING ERRORS

Error:  MAX_PATCHES
Reason:  Map to complex for rad
Solution:
STEP 1:  First things first.  Be honest.  If you had a leak and took the lazy way out by putting a huge box around your map, you need to get rid of the box and find/ fix the leak.  Although this may take some time in a more large map, it is necessary to make sure there are no leaks and no corner cuts.  If this doesn't apply to you or if you are still getting the error after getting rid of the box and leaks, goto step 2.
STEP 2:  If you have a lot of open areas in your map, you will likely get this error.  You should try to avoid open areas because the brush's textures are big and 'patch hungry.'  To make these brush's more usable, you will need to scale the textures up.  You shouldn't scale a texture more then 100 due to the fact that any detail on the original texture is now just a blur.  Scaling the textures up will show less detail and use less ram, but, the scaled up texture will use less patches.  If you have any 'invisible' brushes in your map, you can scale them over 100 because you can't see them in-game.
STEP 3:   If you still continue to have the error, simply put, your brushwork is too complex for the compiler.  If you have barrels in your map, make sure they are only 8 sided.  The more sides on the barrel, the higher your r_speeds and your numportals will be which is not good.  If you still have the error with 8 sided barrels, select all of your barrels, crates, staircases, and other filler objects and push the 's' key while all of the objects are still selected.  Now check off 'Detail' and click the 'Add contents' and the 'Set contents' button.  Now that your total numportals are a drastically smaller number, recompile your map.  If you still get the error, make your brushwork less complex and make sure you don't have any brushes 'inside' other brushes.  Over lapping brushes are no good.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
Was trying to be helpful but someone has low self-esteem. When you see an error, generally that's what you should use the SEARCH button for on the forums. As for me going to kill myself, I hope you get forum banned for being an ungrateful piece of excrement.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm with Spook on this one.
You posted the need for help with absolutely NO information that would help ANYONE deduce a viable reason for you problem.

How long have you been mapping?
How long have you been reading the forums?
How long have you needed help on things that required giving details in order to pinpoint the problem?

You should accept Spooks post as a well deserved slap in the face. You should be embarrassed that you made such a NEWBIE post to begin with.

You have succeeded in wasting people's time because of your laziness to make a proper plea for help.

Get over it and do better or quit mapping and wasting people's time.

GREAT reply Spook!!!

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »
I can't lie, I agree with both Spook and S8N as well. I just took a different approach and tried to be slightly more helpful. However, next time, SEARCH! SEARCH! SEARCH! As many people before have said, DO NOT come to the forums pleading for help without giving proper information needed.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
errr i've been mapping for 2 years reading forums for 5 and those where the only details i could give??? k be quiet locked