Author Topic: xbox version?  (Read 2921 times)

SneakerElph

• PGP
xbox version?
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:38:30 PM »
hey, i've been playing DP for awhile now (we even had a mini LAN at our school that was mostly DP), and i thought that it would be cool to have an xbox version of this game. Quake 2 was ported to the xbox, and i dont think it would be much harder to get DP ported as well. now of course i'm not a coder and i have no idea on the difficulty of this, but i think it would be a reallly cool thing to be able to play DP on my modded xbox. i dont mean to start a flame war, or to try to make you do something that you don't want to, i'm simply saying that if you have the time a resources, an xbox version would be much appreciated. oh, BTW, the xbox port of quake 2 is called "Quake 2x"

hauke

• VM-68
Re: xbox version?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:13:35 PM »
I want dp for the GameBoy

SneakerElph

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »
...thanks for that... you know, i'm not trying to get someone to do the impossible. i'm simply saying that if quake 2 was ported to the xbox, then DP should be easily ported.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:08:25 PM »
Well, i dont know anything about that, but i guess that team taht deported q2 was more than about 2.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »
lol

i think it will be down to time. jits seems to have a lot on his plate, so i seriously doubt he could do this, and even if he could, i don't see why he would, as you'd be the only one playing it.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
i believe that it would cost alot to do that. "making the cd's and all" but if im right he could not sell them. because its a quake2 mod "that does not need q2 anymore" but id software techanly owns dp if im not wrong. so any money made off the mod is theres. so they can sue jit for making money off of it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:27:29 PM »
First, I'd need an xbox.  Second, I'd need the xbox SDK.  Third, I'd need the motivation.  Fourth, I'd need the time.

Since I don't have any of those things, an xbox port is pretty unlikely.  Also, aside from costing a lot of money, I'm pretty sure the xbox sdk is not compatible with the GPL, meaning even if I wanted to do it, and had all of the above things, I couldn't.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
...thanks for that... you know, i'm not trying to get someone to do the impossible. i'm simply saying that if quake 2 was ported to the xbox, then DP should be easily ported.

Think about the number of people working on Quake 2.

Now think about the number of people working on Digital Paint.
Also, there's really no point, and jits isn't expressing any interest. It also would seem that no one else is really interested...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 05:06:31 PM »
Could you imagine somebody trying to play with the xbox controller against people strafe jumping around the map at 70mph with a keyboard and mouse?  Even if I did make it, I don't think it would be very enjoyable.

For the record, I hate playing FPS games with console controllers.

SneakerElph

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »
i believe that it would cost alot to do that. "making the cd's and all" but if im right he could not sell them. because its a quake2 mod "that does not need q2 anymore" but id software techanly owns dp if im not wrong. so any money made off the mod is theres. so they can sue jit for making money off of it.

no no, that doesnt come into play at all. i wasn't talking about a comercial game that you'd sell in best buy. something that the people could download and play on their modded xbox, like how i play Quake 2 and 3 on my xbox. is there an older version of DP that ran as a quake 2 mod? cause that would require no porting at all, since the Q2 engine is already on xbox.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 09:14:44 PM »
A DreamCast version would rock. It's a good console to do it for too, some people have keyboard, mouse, and lan adapter on their DreamCasts, so why not give us Paintball2 for DC? There's UT, Q3, and HL commercially, and Quake 2 is shareware for DC.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:34 PM »
Because I don't have a dreamcast, either.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »
Was DigitalPaintball1 Quake1? If you have any paintball version that is a quake 1 mod I can work on making it work on DreamCast.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »
There's a quakeworld version on the files page.