Author Topic: Newmap: G2 - Beta 2  (Read 7461 times)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: G2 - Beta 1
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »
The point is, is that there is a path that new players can use to reach the second flag with no trick jumps, and for more experienced players if they fail at jumping they will have to use the out of the way, noob-friendly path.

@JeeJee yes well its hard, not impossible, to make a unique map with only the CTP and main dp textures, although you have done a nice job on some of your maps. If I knew how to/was better at making textures I would definetly spice up my maps with some custom content.

Although, I agree that some extra aesthetic filler could be used.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
Gauntlet was a map i had started and never finshed that i wanted to get out. The only people i have showed the map to have seen a very pre beta stage, the inspiration RiMiNi got from Gauntlet was mainly from the game play of the map.

If u would really like to see it talk to me and i might show ya.

P.S Just like RiMiNi has said there's nothing related between the two maps besides the names and the point of having more game play then looks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
Heh, a platformer's paradise. I don't really have any texture nitpicks, so I won't bother posting a demo.  The one thing I did find that looked a little weird, though, was the barrel supporting the ramp.  Due to the terrain, it's like a barrel and a half, right next to a solid rock edge (so it doesn't look like a buried barrel).  Maybe build the terrain such that it's just one barrel tall or put something like a a rock under it?  You might also consider putting some arrows pointing to the "newbie path" to make it a bit more prominent.

I've uploaded the map to the beta server for play testing.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 11:58:46 AM »
nice map, its on 3 inches of superman pub server and gets play alot when rotations gets to it.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: G2 - Beta 2
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:18 AM »
Here's beta 2:

-Fixed barrel supporting ramp
-Fixed jumps
-Changed bridge from solid to planks
-Add two new jumps (trick) from 1 to 2
-Plants

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
I don't really understand the point of the half-ladder on the box entrance to the high flag, but the b2 changes look good.  It's up on the beta server.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »
I don't really understand the point of the half-ladder on the box entrance to the high flag, but the b2 changes look good.  It's up on the beta server.

Ladder jump it, makes it not too easy to get to.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 07:22:57 AM »
In all honesty, however much this map looks nice, we've been getting a lot of the same type of maps lately. The uneven terrain with the stair-like rocks to higher ground, the rock walls all around, suspended wooden bunkers, massive jumps from a small hill ramp to a high flag, etc. I'm not saying your map doesn't look nice, RiMiNi, but IMO, there's no special, unique "Oomph" playing this map, like when you play ub_rooftop or Cold War City, or other more different maps. If you insist on making maps with the exact same trends to guarantee its presence on pub servers, I'd suggest to at least add a lot more detail, like in Sawy's Cradle. IMO, mappers should develop their own mapping style and stick to it, like mappers like JeeJee, and not try to follow the most popular trends and make thousands of maps in the same style.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
In all honesty, however much this map looks nice, we've been getting a lot of the same type of maps lately. The uneven terrain with the stair-like rocks to higher ground, the rock walls all around, suspended wooden bunkers, massive jumps from a small hill ramp to a high flag, etc. I'm not saying your map doesn't look nice, RiMiNi, but IMO, there's no special, unique "Oomph" playing this map, like when you play ub_rooftop or Cold War City, or other more different maps. If you insist on making maps with the exact same trends to guarantee its presence on pub servers, I'd suggest to at least add a lot more detail, like in Sawy's Cradle. IMO, mappers should develop their own mapping style and stick to it, like mappers like JeeJee, and not try to follow the most popular trends and make thousands of maps in the same style.

Why so the maps people spend along time on a map that never gets played.IMO People dont care about how a map is different, they care about the jumps and tricks that are in the map. So if you wanna spend days on end for nothing im not holding you back but they will most likely never be played. But thats just what i think. Give the people what they like, I really like this map RiMiNi Good Job :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »
musickid999 - None of JeeJee's maps get played, it's a bunch of narrow hallways which makes gameplay horrible. It doesn't have to be  'uneven terrain with stair-like rocks to higher ground etc..'  You need 2 main paths that can connect and they are open, aswell as having jumps. It's the type of maps that get played. RiMiNi's map doesn't have that much detail but it is extremely fun and usually fills up the pubs. Nobody will play some indoor dark map with little small hallways. It's a fast pace game.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Why so the maps people spend along time on a map that never gets played.IMO People dont care about how a map is different, they care about the jumps and tricks that are in the map. So if you wanna spend days on end for nothing im not holding you back but they will most likely never be played. But thats just what i think. Give the people what they like, I really like this map RiMiNi Good Job :)

Don't understand your first sentence.
Tell me a section in my statement that says "I HATE this kind of map and will NEVER make one like it." What you are saying is that new maps should pretty much always follow these trends in order for it to be popular.

What I am saying, is that mappers should at least attempt to stray away from the trends we see in almost every single new map. The speediness and style of the maps are fine. It is the asthetics I am picking a bone with. You know what the first thing I thought when I saw G2 was? Carpathian Mountains. Not to mention, it also reminded me of prolandr and a few other maps with the same style. I am in no way, criticising RiMiNi's style of mapping, or any other mappers. In fact, despite what I said, I still think this map is quite fun. I am critising their ability to try and add a touch of uniqueness to their maps. Right now, if you put G2 and Carp together, you wouldn't realize they were two seperate maps.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
>.> Don't see how it looks anything like carp. But, okay. Probably because it has cliffs and grass and wood?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
It doesn't really LOOK like Carp per-sei, but it does remind me of it. Mainly the textures, along with the stair-step rocks. But it IS a fun map, don't get me wrong.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
What's a stair-step rock :-\ lol

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »
Those step-based rocks that help you get to higher ground, I guess they're made so you don't need to make plain old slopes.

wizzi

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
all in all i like the map ^_^ its got a few good jumps which make it a little more fun for the pros who can get further and more gaming by jumping accross the map if that makes sense haha.

I don't really understand the point of the half-ladder on the box entrance to the high flag

me neither .. its quite an easy ladder jump aswell.