Author Topic: Solving the tie map problem  (Read 10291 times)

Brewsky

• Stingray
Re: Solving the tie map problem
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »
If you aren't on IRC you aren't even noticeable. IRC is the hub for this game, please don't make a stupid excuse for why this shouldn't work.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
Official maplists or tiemaplists are dumb. Theres plenty of maps out there, it's just not every team picks them. Teams pick maps they think they have the advantage on the other team. Where their strategy or teamplay or whatever is better. It could be an ice speed map, a slow camped map, an overplayed map etc. But thats why each team gets to play a map of their choice. If your team wants to be creative then choose something fun or try something new/old. Maybe other teams will like it and start trying it. Obviously maps with secret teleports and glitches shouldnt be allowed, but a regular map should have no problem for a teams choice. And I agree, it shouldn't take 20 minutes to pick ruggedcountry. Everyone who matches should know who that's towards.

For tiemaps; i've found s2k and Ij being the hardest to decide with. Although s2k isn't bad anymore, they used to be way worse when it came to tie suggestions. Some new or random maps can be suggested and all, but people should be reasonable and choose more common maps that both teams would know and be good at. BTW: propaint1, airtime, and shazam22 don't ever get suggested for tie really, other then airtime those maps don't get played all that much[atleast i don't play them often]. Last time I played against s2k, we agreed on Rome as tiemap. Suggesting normal maps still gives teams a variety of maps.  

And for the teams who take hours to choose tiemaps, just leave if its that bad. Unless you have the time to stay then wait it out. I just find a standard tiemaplist really dumb, and it will make people find 'overplayed' maps to always be chosen. Then some decent maps will get overlooked and never played. For example rome, it turned out to be pretty fun and actually decent gameplay when we played it against s2k.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 06:18:41 PM »
And for the teams who take hours to choose tiemaps, just leave if its that bad. Unless you have the time to stay then wait it out. I just find a standard tiemaplist really dumb, and it will make people find 'overplayed' maps to always be chosen. Then some decent maps will get overlooked and never played. For example rome, it turned out to be pretty fun and actually decent gameplay when we played it against s2k.

Heres my tactics. Rush high, run through lines, grab flag, kill everyone.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 08:38:57 PM »
intercourse YEAH IM WITH RICK ON THIS ONE

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »
Please don't get off topic. I don't mean to sound egotistical here but I really think I had a good idea and hope someone will elaborate on it.

A mIRC script that will randomize a tie map selection. Who wants to give this a go?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
A mIRC script that will randomize a tie map selection. Who wants to give this a go?
Wasn't there a bot in #paintball at one point like that?  Wait, found it.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11592.20

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
a map randomizer doesn't work for the same reason the normal tie map selection doesn't work:  people will just whine at decisions and not accept them.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »
lawl has a massive variety of map choice, our tie-map situations never take long because we have such a wide range of variety in terms of skill, size and gameplay. We never normally choose airtime1, sh22 or pp1 either.. unless it's a strange clan who will only play them... :/
Yeah, like thesands. Dude, you are the biggest meddling asskisser this game has ever seen. You are annoying little kid.
But not every clan in dp is on IRC.
They should.

woops, got a little off topic here.
Official maplist = bad. Game has probably hundreds of maps, would be a waste to make some official maplist...
Official tiemaplist = good. Well, it wouldnt force 2 clans to match on a tiemap that is on that list... it offers a way to escape the situation where tiemap is hard to decide... if 2 clans want to play oddjob as tiemap, then so be it, but i would not, so i would refer to www.dplogin.com/match paragraph X and tell that we should follow those guidelines there. Problem solved.

randomizer = yeah, i guess it wouldnt just work.

I think the official tiemaplist should have expiration date (set beforehand) and it should be reviewed, because it should only contain maps that are really playerd, guess u can say overplayed.

jits has been a nazi and changed ballspeed, jits has been a nazi and added prime grenades, why cant he be a bit friendly towards the matching community and really add something for us :/

I would suggest the future tiemaplist: propaint1, shazam22, airtime, pbcup_pforest, pbcup_renoir, carpathian, castle1.
They are all maps that everybody knows, they play really well and every clan can remove 3 maps out of that list, so really shouldnt be a problem to 'know' these maps good enough.

if you make your own suggestion, pls remember that the maplsit should contain odd number of mapos, then both teams can eliminate the same number of maps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:03:33 AM by blaa »

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 01:38:06 AM »
So, theyre not then official done.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »
Yeah, like thesands. Dude, you are the biggest meddling asskisser this game has ever seen. You are annoying little kid.They should.

woops, got a little off topic here.
Official maplist = bad. Game has probably hundreds of maps, would be a waste to make some official maplist...
Official tiemaplist = good. Well, it wouldnt force 2 clans to match on a tiemap that is on that list... it offers a way to escape the situation where tiemap is hard to decide... if 2 clans want to play oddjob as tiemap, then so be it, but i would not, so i would refer to www.dplogin.com/match paragraph X and tell that we should follow those guidelines there. Problem solved.

randomizer = yeah, i guess it wouldnt just work.

I think the official tiemaplist should have expiration date (set beforehand) and it should be reviewed, because it should only contain maps that are really playerd, guess u can say overplayed.

jits has been a nazi and changed ballspeed, jits has been a nazi and added prime grenades, why cant he be a bit friendly towards the matching community and really add something for us :/

I would suggest the future tiemaplist: propaint1, shazam22, airtime, pbcup_pforest, pbcup_renoir, carpathian, castle1.
They are all maps that everybody knows, they play really well and every clan can remove 3 maps out of that list, so really shouldnt be a problem to 'know' these maps good enough.

if you make your own suggestion, pls remember that the maplsit should contain odd number of mapos, then both teams can eliminate the same number of maps.

Who gets to eliminate a map first?
The team that played the first map?

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
Who gets to eliminate a map first?
The team that played the first map?
Wouldn't be fair
But yet maybe this is an idea ( i know its stupid but yeah )
the first who gets 20 points on the 2nd map may choice 3rd ( :D)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 05:43:16 AM »
It doesn't matter who gets to select a map to remove first, you are all removing 3 maps anyway.  Its another lengthy process as well.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »
It doesn't matter who gets to select a map to remove first, you are all removing 3 maps anyway.  Its another lengthy process as well.

The thing is, who ever gets to take out the last map also gets to pick between the last two maps. I guess it isn't a problem seeing as neither eliminated those 2 I guess :(

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
What if you're in a 2v2 and you get castle1 or renoir. OR what if your in a 5v5 and get airtime. You want to make it harder and have 2v2 ties: ____________ 3v3 ties___________ etc....

it's so pointless. A few teams give difficulty in tiemaps but not enough to do this. It would just cause more issues. Some people are to childish to pick tiemaps, but I only find a very few amount of teams hard to choose tie with. But it used to be wayy worse then it is now. I do kinda find it funny that Brewsky is bringing this topic up. I have no problem with s2k's tie suggestions because I like most of the ones they suggest, but alot of people wont. Zpar11_beta, Rome, Icepond, Castle1?? i think?, and Renoir sometimes?. Which obviously Ij wont pick any because clown would get capped on. But when they see you suggestion maps your team is good at, they'll suggest ones they're good at. Then the 'common' maps will get ignored. But I don't know what you suggest against other teams, so that could be completely wrong.

Blaa: If you're on a tiemap, where one team is noticeable better and plays together alot better but somehow their on tiemap where castle1 or renoir pop up.... it's to easy for the better team. Rather then them agreeing on a smaller map that the 'lesser' team has a chance on.

But even the randomizer or deleting thing causes issues. In QEHScup they have elimination process for maps, teams will still cry. Reaver spent over an hour after the tournament was over complaining about how badly it was run because we played the same map in the finals twice, due to both teams deleting the same maps. But reaver is different.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
 Good point about the 2v2/5v5...

Well, but a general matching etiquette on formal website would help a bit, I think.

And about the qehscup, I think that the system we used is the best, reaver is just a result of five generations of inbreeding.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:55 AM »
http://www.randomizer.org/

Just assign maps to numbers. That's it.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »
How 'bout AGREE to a tie map BEFORE the match even start. didn't we try this once, Henrod?

it went much quicker...

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
What if you're in a 2v2 and you get castle1 or renoir. OR what if your in a 5v5 and get airtime. You want to make it harder and have 2v2 ties: ____________ 3v3 ties___________ etc....

DEAL WITH IT BRO ITS CALLED RANDOMIZATION. It would at LEAST make things more interesting. I would rather roll the dice for a tie map that the other team is better at than sit around 20 minutes aruguing but clearly this topic has proven you people care more about winning than just PLAYING the game.

If it bothers you that much, why not make 3 seperate randomizers for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4+. I personally think it's overkill, but hey, you guys clearly need your hineys powdered and wiped, so maybe we can accomodate all of your moronic suggestions.

WELCOME TO BREW RAGE 2010.

The only people who contributed to this forum were Cam and Edgecrusher. You people are idiots. I make a SIMPLE suggestion that solves the problem but you want to make map lists that expire? I don't post on here unless its something worth saying, unfortunately too many of you do the opposite just to see yourself on the forums. This isn't twitter, no one gives a excrement about your idiotic thought of the day. Now I remember why I barely use this forum.

This game has officially run it's course for me. Have fun with it if you still can. I'd love to tell you all what other games I'm playing, but I don't want a trail of douchebaggery dragging behind me to ruin my fun.

Hope you all get herpes.

Love,

-Brewsky

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »
Same thing, Ij gets to the tie map, they only suggest box maps. We suggest a lot. They finally suggest oth, we go to it, they refuse to play their tie map. We start suggesting again. They say crimethink, we go to crimethink, they refuse to play their suggestion. Nice ff Ij, learn something other than box maps, and finding other clans to play other than us.

Who's up for TF2?