Author Topic: Servers  (Read 3701 times)

vLaD

• Autococker
Re: Servers
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 12:42:41 AM »
thats y u teach em basic commands. that x server will hog the CPU usage of an additional server or more.

tartjagger

• Stingray
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:24 AM »
GUI sucks, try Midnight Commander I use it all the time. Webmin is pretty handy too. Not using standard ports to access the server is the best way to avoid being hacked.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:59 AM »
thats y u teach em basic commands. that x server will hog the CPU usage of an additional server or more.

vlad, uh, I think you've got it all wrong. Henrod's servers run on x, and now Vanity's. I don't lag on either. But yours, yours don't run x, and I seem to lag a lot more.

oh and if your going to reply about them being hosted at different locations, intercourse location, chicago is just as far as texas anyway. I actually ping less on yours then fr4g's.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
the location is perfect we are not talking about ping here rick.  s2k's servers are in cali and west coast servers are  better for aussies. we are talking about cpu usage

i use webmin at times also but i prefer using ssh. or off my laptop i use sshfs

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »
X isn't too bad on real server hardware. If you have a multiple cores on dedicated hardware with a few DP servers and website, you won't notice it. But.. if you rent a VPS that's running off some guy's white box reseller server, it's probably so loaded that you can't afford the extra CPU cycles to run X.

I also think that X sessions aren't encrypted unless you tell it to forward through SSH, so don't put in root password through xterm ;)

I would take the time to learn the unix/linux commands, might come in handy later during university/career.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
X isn't too bad on real server hardware. If you have a multiple cores on dedicated hardware with a few DP servers and website, you won't notice it. But.. if you rent a VPS that's running off some guy's white box reseller server, it's probably so loaded that you can't afford the extra CPU cycles to run X.

I also think that X sessions aren't encrypted unless you tell it to forward through SSH, so don't put in root password through xterm ;)

I would take the time to learn the unix/linux commands, might come in handy later during university/career.

Amen.