Author Topic: PBall2 Alpha problem with Voodoo Cards  (Read 2827 times)

iGREKKESS

• PGP
PBall2 Alpha problem with Voodoo Cards
« on: July 26, 2003, 02:37:13 AM »
Hello people,

I belong to a French "Paintballers" group (Frenchies love Paintball too) and we enjoy a lot the awsome standalone version of PBall2 (grenades power) !

I have a little problem to get it working with a Voodoo 1 card :
Because the new core doesn't allow "software" display mode (I've tried to edit the config.cfg file to force that mode but it's too slow), the game only runs in "default OpenGL" mode... but old cards like Voodoo 1 (supporting OpenGL) only run OpenGL using "3Dfx OpenGL" mode, so when I launch the game, I get an error message "Error during initialization. Make sure you have an OpenGL capable video card and that the latest drivers are installed".
I tried to force "3dfxgl", the game starts but the screen is black (sounds from the menu are audible)...
I check my drivers (GLSetup 1.21), with Quake 2 full and the game works perfectly...

Is there any possibility to get "3Dfx OpenGL" working ? Or maybe in next Alpha release the "driver" menu (above "video mode") could be back with "default OpenGL" and "3Dfx OpenGL" for old (but good enough) 3Dfx card ?  :)

Thanx (sorry for my poor English :P )
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 02:44:11 AM by iGREKKESS »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: PBall2 Alpha problem with Voodoo Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 10:42:18 AM »
Try renaming 3dfxgl.dll to opengl32.dll and see if it works.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 09:04:40 PM »
A Voodoo 1 are you seriuos =]? Why dont you break down and pay 3$ for a voodoo 5 at least?? or 30$ for a geforce2...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 10:10:24 PM »
I didn't know French people played paintball, even on a computer.
hm.
AND, if you didn't mention you were french, i wouldn't know. You might have better english grammar then me!

iGREKKESS

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 05:40:33 AM »
Me again :)

A Voodoo 1 are you seriuos =]? Why dont you break down and pay 3$ for a voodoo 5 at least?? or 30$ for a geforce2...

Why buying a Voodoo 2 where my Voodoo 1 works perfectly (it's in an old 233MHz computer that I keep for little games etc...) ? It's good enough for games like POD (too fast on recent computers), Tomb Raider 1, surfing on Internet or... Quake 2 ! When a friend comes home, he can play Paintball with us...

Try renaming 3dfxgl.dll to opengl32.dll and see if it works.

Thanx for advice, I've tried that but it doesn't work since the result is the same as when I've tried to force the use of 3dfxgl.dll (black screen) by editing config.cfg.
I think something may has been changed or removed in the engine, making 3dfxgl.dll (mini-gl) not working.
After I tried to take 3dfxvgl.dll (3Dfx OpenGL 1.1 Client) from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and renamed it to Opengl32.dll in Paintball folder, and miracle, the game runs !! That's slow, the screen is half-displayed, it works... but not good enough to play ^_^;

eii > now you know, Frenchies are still playing Quake 2 (ChaosDM power) and love DPB  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 09:53:41 AM by iGREKKESS »

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 07:59:43 AM »
Posted by: Anrkist Posted on: 07/27/03 at 07:04:40

I have a P200MMX with a 12MB Vodoo 2. Suits me perfect for Quake and Quake 2 based games. (though a few dp2 maps lags me as hell, sloppy done.)

Why upgrade when the only games I play are q1/q2 games?

\plaz

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 07:42:55 PM »
So you dont seem so cheap plaz? In reply to the french dude.. you cant really expect people to downgrade things just because you wont toss in a few bucks for it.. you said it works fine for all the little things.. but it doesnt work fine, your voodoo 1 doesnt work perfectly if it did you wouldent be asking this question now would you =]

iGREKKESS

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 01:16:49 AM »
As I said in the topic, Quake 2 (with PBall v1.75) works fine with that Voodoo 1, but PBall 2 Alpha simply doesn't... ???

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 01:43:33 AM »
Posted by: Anrkist Posted on: Today at 05:42:55
you cant really expect people to downgrade things just because you wont toss in a few bucks for it..

Who's downgrading? We're still on the same hardware.

you said it works fine for all the little things.. but it doesnt work fine, your voodoo 1 doesnt work perfectly if it did you wouldent be asking this question now would you =]

First of all, the card isn't broken. What's "broken" is the gfx support for 3dfxgl.

Dont forget this is an Alpha release .. I hope that it get fixed it in a later release ..

\plaz

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 07:57:19 AM »
I think by downgrading Anrkist was referring to jitspoe's new standalone engine and how it shouldn't be "downgraded" to support older hardware..  I wouldn't ahve used that word, however I can't think of the proper word to use.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 12:06:49 PM »
Since nVidia bought out 3dfx, they should make some real drivers for the voodoos. :)

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 08:51:18 PM »
As I said in the topic, Quake 2 (with PBall v1.75) works fine with that Voodoo 1, but PBall 2 Alpha simply doesn't... ???

Thats because its paintball 2.. not quake 2 =] It may use q2 as the base engine but I think Jit is really doing his best to move away from it.. correct me if im wrong here =] Try going to say.. a Star Wars Galaxies bboard.. ask them if they will add 3dfx support see what happens =]

And yes that is what I ment thank you bain =] Why on earth would I tell you to downgrade a voodoo card? Is that possible.. I guess if you switched to a 2d card it might be.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2003, 04:52:33 PM »
Well, I looked through the code to see if I could find what was changed relating to 3dfx cards, but I couldn't find anything that should break them.  While I do think voodoo users should upgrade, it's certainly not my intent to deliberately disable support for them.  I guess I'll have to fire up my old "spare parts" computer and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 08:21:23 AM »
heh--i have one of those. it used to be a 386, but we got rid of that so now it's a useless 95.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 11:48:48 AM »
Have you tried modifying the config so that it runs in fullscreen?  I don't think voodoos work in windowed mode.

set vid_fullscreen 1.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 09:55:57 PM »
hah! I think I fixed my old clunker -- there were some memory problems, but I found a dimm and upgraded it from 8megs to 128megs... slight increase. ;)  Now to get all the stuff installed and test it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 11:54:14 PM »
Ok.  I can't even get regular q2 to work.  Keep getting BSOD's.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2003, 07:39:25 PM »
Ok, now I have it working, but I'm running into the same problem -- just getting a black screen.  Hmm.  This is a tough one to fix.  If it were crashing, it'd be faster to track down exctly where the error occurred, but for this I'm not even sure where to start.  Maybe it has something to do with the texture loading.