Author Topic: My Startup Celly  (Read 4117 times)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
My Startup Celly
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
Guys,

If you ever wanted to pay me back for pouring hours into DP maps, the time is now. My startup http://cel.ly is slowly rolling out a public beta of our service. We need people to test it, play around with it, get their friends using it etc.

Celly is a completely free service that allows you to create different types of 'chat rooms' through SMS. The commands for it are very IRC like, so if you know IRC, you should pick it up quickly.

For example, Team eR33t has created our own channel (#eR33tclan) which we use to chat through SMS (everyone sees everyone's texts). For active clans, this can be helpful; coordinating match times and seeing if people are around. To do this for your clan, text:

!create #clanname to 23559.
Then have your members text !join #clanname to 23559.

I can also envision a type of '#dpscrim' channel that allows clan leaders to post the need for a match. Here subscribed clan leaders could be alerted in real time whenever someone was looking for a match.

Finally, jitspoe could create a 'public alert' channel, say #digitalpaint, that allows subscribers to only see texts from jitspoe himself (and unable to respond). This way he could post announcements and build updates without any chatter. To do this, he would text !create #digitalpaint to 23559, then !type #digitalpaint alert. To subscribe one would simply type !join #digitalpaint.

Celly is completely free. If you guys started using this, telling your friends and creating your own channels, you would be doing me a huge favor. We're trying to work out the kinks of the system and we need people using it!

Also, ironfist has moved from Arkansas to Oregon to be a developer on this project (he's currently asleep on my couch). So I have DP to thank for helping put our team together (if this ever becomes big, what a great story to tell).

Finally, !name changes your name.

Thanks a ton to whoever starts using this!

P!nk

• Autococker
Re: My Startup Celly
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
Also, ironfist has moved from Arkansas to Oregon to be a developer on this project (he's currently asleep on my couch). So I have DP to thank for helping put our team together (if this ever becomes big, what a great story to tell).

It's still kind of surreal going into his room and him not being there, but I'm glad he's teaming up with you guys! :D

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
It's still kind of surreal going into his room and him not being there, but I'm glad he's teaming up with you guys! :D

I have kindly left VNC installed on what is now your gaming computer so I can still annoy you while you are playing TF2.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »
Really people? One person creates #teamx and then stops using it? Is that all I'm going to get?

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Really people? One person creates #teamx and then stops using it? Is that all I'm going to get?

That would be me, I decided to try it but I received this message: Premium messaging to this mobile number has been blocked. Only the account owner may request a change to this setting with his/her wireless service provider. I am not the account owner, and I didn't think my text went through. But good luck, it seems like a cool idea :)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
US only, right?
Or is there another (international) sms number?

Finally, jitspoe could create a 'public alert' channel, say #digitalpaint, that allows subscribers to only see texts from jitspoe himself (and unable to respond). This way he could post announcements and build updates without any chatter. To do this, he would text !create #digitalpaint to 23559, then !type #digitalpaint alert. To subscribe one would simply type !join #digitalpaint.

Sounds a little bit like twitter :P

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »
I'll spread the word.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
coLa - I would love you forever.

Sorry Terrorist -- yeah we're going to get shortcodes all over the world eventually, but it is US based right now :(. If i could get some guaranteed usage from you guys in Germany I could push us getting a German shortcode for sure. Also, we will soon be getting a VOIP provider which should allow users all over the world.

Skadoosh: Do you live in the US?

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
Yes, I live in Florida.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
I'm about to create one for a local automotive forum. That one alone should bring in a few dozen people.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
SkaDoosh: I have to imagine it has something to do with your carrier; do you have a text messaging plan?

Cola: that's awesome, glad to see you get the basic idea that easily

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:48 PM »
I have an unlimited txt plan, but I believe it blocks numbers like this to prevent unwanted billing, even though this is free. I am not the account owner, so I probably can't change it. Might be switching carriers soon though, then I'll try it again :)

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
Hate how carriers try to "manage" what their customers want and don't want.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
In Skadoosh's case I think it is because he is on his parents plan atm.