Author Topic: Console will not go away.  (Read 2718 times)

_KLOWN_

• PGP
Console will not go away.
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
I am new to this game.  When I join a server, the console comes down and tells me about the name of the game, the makers, their website, and appears to have a "message of the day" of the server operator.  I thought I could hit the console key "~" and it would go away so I can play.  Well it doesn't.  Any help would be appreciated.
Also, what are the system requirements for this game and why are they NOT posted in the Docs/FAQ section?
Thanks guys.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Console will not go away.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
Does the map start with it down?  When you don't have a file that the server requires you to have, you download it from the server.  During this process the console remains down.

_KLOWN_

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »
The map starts, i see my gun for a second and the console comes down with the info mentioned above.  No files are showing as being downloaded.

_KLOWN_

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
I just installed on another computer at my house and joined a game fine.  I tried to log in from my other computer (the one with the issue) and I see the following in the console of the computer that is in the server (with out the issue): Login failed for _KLOWN_  next line _KLOWN_ was kicked next line _KLOWN_ disconnected.

_KLOWN_

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:30:48 PM »
SOLVED:
I un-installed the game.  Renamed the old install directory.  Then re-installed.  Works now.  Strange...

Do you know what the system requirements are for this game?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:44 AM »
Ah, you were joining a server that requires a global login account.  Nothing wrong with your computer or installation.  Go make an account over here and login in the game with the same credentials: http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=createaccount

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:13:42 AM »
SOLVED:
I un-installed the game.  Renamed the old install directory.  Then re-installed.  Works now.  Strange...

Do you know what the system requirements are for this game?

There are no standardised "system requirements" due to the addition of many features over the engine's development and the lack of old machines to test them on. However, DP should run alright depending on settings on anything up to 7/8 years old, if it's older than that then some of the new additions may not work. It even supports 3dfx cards thanks to jits. Just make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

_KLOWN_

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
Just FYI:  I am running DP on a Pentium III 900MHz, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, and old S3 4MB video.  This is my 9 yr sons laptop.
My goal is to have several old computers set up so my son (and myself) can have a little LAN party.  The game isn't a killing game (but is still a FPS), it runs on the old computers I have laying (stacked) around,  and it doesn't have a big learning curve.  Of course I will have to change some settings on the server (like raising the gravity and whatever else I can do to make the game normal - Q2 characters move to fast especially with acceleration).  It is a flawed game engine which they capitolized on in Q3 (the double jumping and acceleration and such - built in on purpose that time).  Do you guys know of other serverside setting that I can set to make the movement and acceleration normal (besides raising gravity)?  Is this game built on the Q1 or Q2 engine?  I thought Q2...

Perhaps I can get some people (kids) playing this game (something to shoot at lol).  Some parents dont want killing in their kids games but this is paintball so it should be acceptable.

Thanks for your help.  It is nice to see your community answering posts so quickly.  I got a reply in 2 minutes - WOW...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:44:57 AM by _KLOWN_ »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
Do you guys know of other serverside setting that I can set to make the movement and acceleration normal (besides raising gravity)?  Is this game built on the Q1 or Q2 engine?  I thought Q2...

Turn on tripping.  If a player gets going too fast, they'll 'trip' and come to a complete stop loosing all momentum.  A lot of people hate that feature though (including myself) :P.
Also, yes, you are right.  This game is a Quake 2 mod.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
Or turn the other air acceleration method on. I believe sv_airaccelerate is actually a quantity, but setting it to 1 should have the effect of disabling strafe jumping. So set sv_airaccelerate 1. :D

And if you want it to be closer to real life paintball (semi-auto fire), g_autofire 0.

_KLOWN_

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »
Glad I could help.