Author Topic: New map: barricades  (Read 1735 times)

SubZero

• PGP
New map: barricades
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
it's just a basic rectangle map with mid level guns moving barricades and a lift to the flag i just need ideas and or how to make it flow better take a look at the BSP

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: New map: barricades
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
Clever..... But, I really don't see the point.. How could it flow better? It's just a single path map.

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
yeah your right im just looking for ideas or what people wana see in a map with moving barricades i was thinking of lengthening it and making more paths but other then that i dont have a clue about what people wana see

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I didn't make the best experience with moving objects. Lots of people don't like them, but I can't say why they don't like it.

Just a few general things for your map. The rest should be ok for the first beta.

- I don't like the lighting. You have a sky and could use the sun lighting. It looks much better.
- The barrels are misaligned.
- Add the "angle" "###" key to your spawnpoints.
- One transparent brush in the mid looks different. Maybe you did two transparent brushes there a choose a wrong setting.
- I don't know your mapping skills, but a func_plat with "accel" "###" and "decel" "###" looks way more realistic. More settings could be "height" "###" and "speed" "###" (p.a.).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:30:44 AM by Chef-Killer »

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
I havent seen the map, but wouldnt moving entitys stop working if a model happens to be in the way. Like a dead players, or a gun...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
Well, I don't know if you're still around to look at this feedback, but I'll give it anyway.  I put it up on the beta server, and it's kind of amusing.

- The flags are impossible to get.  People just sit on the elevator most of the time (and they're almost always the last to die).
- Barricades should stay up longer - like 10-15 seconds.  Possibly add larger triggers for them as well.
- Spawns are facing to the side.  Not sure if that's bad - basically the first person to turn 90 degrees and shoot gets kills.  Maybe add permanent cover for the spawn areas (though if the barricades stayed up long enough, they could be up from the previous round).
- It's possible to get stuck (see demo).
- Some spawners give you loaded co2, others don't.  I kind of like the ones that don't, because it forces you to change tactics while you reload.  I'd make them all consistent, though.
- I'd move the low position of the barricades (lip setting, I think) up a bit, so the top edge of them doesn't sink into the ground.

I've attached a couple demos - one is just to give feedback, and one is actually playing on the beta server.  PM me if you need the login for the beta server to play test.