Poll

What's most important to spend time on?

Banning cheaters and other rule violators.
5 (6.8%)
Improved media (models, textures, maps, etc.)
31 (42.5%)
More user-friendlyness (especially for new players - easier account registration, server browsing, etc.)
12 (16.4%)
New features
11 (15.1%)
Performance (better framerate)
6 (8.2%)
Bug fixes
6 (8.2%)
Other
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: What's most important? (v2)  (Read 9205 times)

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: What's most important? (v2)
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »
Will there be a "skip" button. I'm sure many people uninstall to reinstall as their first troubleshoot. Might be annoying to them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
It's just a web form that loads up after you run the uninstaller -- optional as to whether or not you fill it out.  If people uninstall the game to troubleshoot and take the time to indicate that's why they uninstalled it, that's good feedback.  It means there are issues that need to be fixed (or better documentation on how to update drivers or fix whatever is causing the issue).  Uninstalling isn't necessary for that, though.  If your files get screwed up, you can just run the installer again.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 04:43:54 AM »
 New map format = no. Like somebody said earlier, maps/textures/models are something what the community can contribute. Why lose all the hundreds (if thousands) of maps the community is provided?

When I voted for improved media I actually voted for official HR4 texture pack, perhaps redo some of the models (ammobox could be cooler), make the current oldmodels compatible with vwep (improve the model overral - animations and such), and possibly add third model (the kid who is on the background on this forum), maybe even a female model.

Bugfixes are important, sure, but some of the bugs are not stopped to play everyday because of that. Hell, most of the bugs you don't even notice, normally.

Banning cheaters is a priority? Sure, its fun to play in a clean environment, but as much as I understand the banning system works quite well, and if something new comes up, it will be taken care of as we go (for example, im pretty sure GBL wasnt built to ban those who use clear walls, but as the problem arose, it was taken care of).

Performance, well, I remember viciouz saying somewhere, that the q2 code in general needs to be cleaned up, so wouldnt that make the performance even on bad computers worse? Anyway, this is 21st century, computers are getting better and better, and I believe this games problem is not the fact that it takes up too much resources..

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:20 AM »
New map format = no. Like somebody said earlier, maps/textures/models are something what the community can contribute. Why lose all the hundreds (if thousands) of maps the community is provided?
Pretty much, only Jitspoe would be able to make a new map format, so the community can't really contribute to it. Also, a new map format isn't about textures or models, it's about being able to do things that we can't already do(Higher detail, reduce rspeeds, faster export time etc.). With that, better looking maps.

I think I read in the "New map format" thread that we could keep both old and new map formats OR convert map files over to the new format.(I'd be willing to help with this)

make the current oldmodels compatible with vwep (improve the model overral - animations and such)

So, improve the look of the model, the animation of the model and make them compatible with vwep's? Isn't that just the new models?

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
Honestly, does any of you like newbies? I hate them. They don't know HOW to play this game and WHAT the goal is. If you want new players, take time to SHOW them how to play - be it a guide or tutorial, any way that would make them understand that going to cave on shazam22 and staying there for 5 minutes every round is NOT good for newbie's teammates. (You may say - it's pub, why you care, everyone can play pub etc. - is it a point here? Ofc if I wanted to play match I wouldn't play against newbies, cause they have no idea how to use console anyway!). Menus in several languages can also help, there are many players not capable of understanding even simply English words, such as Polish, Czech or Brazilian people.
What I most wish for is interpolated hit boxes and bug fixes/improved media (we have good mappers, but BSP is to be blamed for not-so-detailed maps).

Spartax

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 04:51:22 AM »
voted for media cause the models seems old and the game stagnant other games

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »
Server Build b28

Coltter

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »
Bug fixes

Scars

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »
More user-friendlyness.

Wyze

• Stingray
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
Not sure if this is a bad thing, but I think we should either restart a thread like this or bring this one back. This is probably one of the more useful threads in the forum. This helps build the game by us, the people who play it's votes.

wyZe
Improved Media!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »
Dear Nathan my sweet handsome and rather large shoe sized friend. I dont know if you remember me. But I once played this game for a little bit, even made some comments about what direction you should go. I downloaded the game and again and almost vomited.

"Getting feedback from people who uninstall is probably the most valuable for figuring out why people don't play." - Excellent idea. Implement something that can allow that to happen during install or uninstall make it mandatory, rather than ask a forum full of coders what they would like to see.

"Gotta agree with Rick, how you gonna keep the new players playing if they think that the game looks like crap?" What players think paintball should play like and meeting this expectation should be your main focus. Not what something looks like.

Legendz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
improved media

Exxtasy

• Stingray
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
Improved Media.
But i'm not talking about making an official Texture Pack (changing textures helps to personalize this game), it's necessary to make this game look better by changing the models and improbing bsp.
Anyone playing Quake Live? U can have like 30 models there and it's Quake (3 not 2, but in my opinion there are not so many differences). Only one example...