Author Topic: HowTo: Strafe Jump (in progress!)  (Read 4362 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
HowTo: Strafe Jump (in progress!)
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:37:43 AM »
Hey,
I've created a video that hopefully explains what strafe jumping is and how to actually perform this technique. It isn't finished yet as it's been so long since I've actually played PB properly that I'm not completely sure the keys I say that are being pressed are right. If someone can watch the video at the link below, and tell me if it's right then I can continue with it.
I already know that the structure of the video itself is poor, but this is just an alpha version if you like. So yeah, please post your thoughts and comments and tell me if the keys I put are right... cheers!

[Alpha?] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G8LYDZGeQ
[Beta] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MHtI8pujI
(added Mouse movement to the beta version)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:17:39 PM by Kyuuchi »

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
Re: HowTo: Strafe Jump (in progress!)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »
epic movie! :D

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
would be good to mention that move ur mouse at the same time to the same direction.. maybe everyone dont get that

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
would be good to mention that move ur mouse at the same time to the same direction.. maybe everyone dont get that

:O !
When I saw "Last reply 'Rocky'" I expected a "LOLOLLOL who needs strafe help other than phen????" but thats a great point. I'll try add that in soon.
Edit: Added mouse movement to beta version of video (see top post)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:18:08 PM by Kyuuchi »

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
I hope you can perfect this, but here are my main complaints:
- Very out of sync (keypresses and mouse movement do not show what's actually happening)
- Moving text, badly phrased text, big font, text isn't completely inside the video
- Low quality sound

As a sidenote, it would be easier to sync the mouse if you portrayed mouse movement with arrows instead of actual movement.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
who gives a intercourse how the text looks like or how the sound is

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
he's just willing to help lol...

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
- Very out of sync (keypresses and mouse movement do not show what's actually happening)
- Moving text, badly phrased text, big font, text isn't completely inside the video
- Low quality sound

As a sidenote, it would be easier to sync the mouse if you portrayed mouse movement with arrows instead of actual movement.

Thanks for the feedback.. The out-of-sync is probably because the preview has a delay, it's not always going to be 100% accurate. Perhaps if I slow-motioned it, would that help a bit more?
As for the text, I thought that the bigger the font size is the easier it is to read, as long as it isn't completely squashed together. I didn't want it to small because then people would have to strain their eyes and such, but this is all easily fixable.
Low quality sound is basically because I made the sound quieter than it is, I don't want the sounds really being a big thing when some sort of music or audio can be played over.

Talking of audio being played over, anyone willing to 'talk' about strafe jumping? Sometimes someone talking about how to do it is a lot easier than seeing it be done with the keys and mouse movement being shown.. I know ViciouZ has done something similar before... ;)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
needs some sick dubstep

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Nice video in his whole. Although, I left you a commentary on the beta Video Link ;)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »
This video should should cover all of the trick jumps. The ones that I'm having trouble with is the water run and the circle jump.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »
This video should should cover all of the trick jumps. The ones that I'm having trouble with is the water run and the circle jump.

Like I say, it's a work in progress. I would love the video to cover all the 'strategic' areas of the game including double jump, triple jump, circle jump etc. But for now I've just made a strafe one to see what'd it be like. Hopefully once the community gets together a fantastic, well informed and easy-to-follow tutorial video on how to strafe and trick jumps we could have on the main section:
"PLAY - SETUP - TUTORIAL - QUIT" with the video playing on the tutorial section....

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 05:28:38 AM »
Nice video :) , you often see newbies asking how to strafe jump and it can be difficult to explain sometimes but now we can direct them to the vid, or even better a 'tutorial' section which would be extremely helpful for new players to the game and they would never need to ask again.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »
Nice video but this has been already done by skyline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kqVM-inhc&feature=related
4:17 strafe jumping tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI239XH0PSM
The other jump style tutorial
I think that skyline got his point and i was personally learning circle jump from his tutorial.

But you can still make video that is better and maybe more clear. Skyline is using text tutorial instead of graphic. If you can make some nicer looking keyboard + mouse it would be really great video (sorry but that keys and mouse are not really nice)
I would suggest using high ress keyboard with wsad but not hiding the keys just highlighting them and as it was said instead of moving mouse use arrows to indicate mouse movement ;)
wasd:http://www.nineoverten.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/wasd.jpg

btw

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »
this helped me =)