Author Topic: Sandrush_b2 (ex-sandlandr)  (Read 8116 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Sandrush_b2 (ex-sandlandr)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
http://speedy.sh/9uAP7/sandlandr-b1.bsp

i hope this is the right version ... :S
Looks like it probably is.  I'll base my judging on that one.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
Uploaded b2 to the beta server (sent a pm on how to load it).

Judging: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26586.msg243261#msg243261

Overall, you have a lot of wood textures that need to be rotated, the map feels too uniformly colored (everything is the same shade of brown/tan), and the map feel a bit too large overall.  Also, the flag is difficult to quickly access.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
My Judging:
This is MY opinion. I'm sorry if everyone does not agree with me. If you feel I have marked wrong or anything, please PM me with DETAILS.

Also, I may leave some text the exact same as used in judging other maps, as it may be relevant to yours

Detail - 60/100

Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
Like Jitspoe stated, it's very weird that the mid bridge has it's supports on the top of boxes.. Though, most of the detail is specific to the theme.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (10/25)
Sitting mid and looking back at base shows how thin some of the walls are, IMO it makes it very ugly. I feel like the map is missing something visually, as right now, the only things that aren't tan/brown seem to be the barrels and the cap spots (and water ofcourse). It's not that great to look at :P

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (20/25)
Most of the detail is very functional. Lot's of little DJ's and speed jumps to find. Some paths feel a bit awkward though.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (10/25)
There is not enough detail IMO (need more on the visual side than gameplay) and the quality of the detail needs to be brought up to standards.

Jumps - 77/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (20/25)
There seems to be a lot of jumps in and around base, but at mid it's a struggle to get back up to high (if need be). 

Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (20/25)
The jumps work pretty well, although I feel the dj box at mid is a little bit too hard to accomplish.

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (15/25)
The jumps seem to link the different paths a lot, although there are a few that don't really lead anywhere.

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (22/25)
There is a bunch of easy jumps with a few hard ones chucked in, seems to be a good mix.

Gameplay - 63/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (13/15)
Some of the paths are a bit awkward to navigate. Nothing majorly bad.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (8/10)
I don't see any problems with where they are placed. There is a lot of ammo mid, maybe could stand to take some out. 

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (7/10)
Spawns are very spread out and would be very hard to spawn kill. Though some of the spawns are facing walls.

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(10/15)
I've always liked the big mids with the longer lines. Although it's a bit awkward lining from the side paths at mid high and being low felt like a bit of a disadvantage as I couldn't line players as well as I could high (not always a bad thing though, just thought I'd mention it).

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (10/30)
The way the flags are now make it very hard to defend your base. If I were camping near 1, you'd be able to grab 2 very easily and vice-versa. Though, if I were camping at 2 and you grabbed the first flag and ran out and did speed across mid, I'd have no chance to get you.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (15/20)
The layout feels alright, paths are a bit different but not too bad.

Technical Skill - 36/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (20/25)
The r_speeds are a little bit high in some places. Not unplayable though.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (4/10)
A lot of the boxes/planks are misaligned. Might want to jump through it with some people looking for them.

Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (12/15)
Everything seems okay, some things could be reworked though (mainly some sharp walls and weird terrain).

Innovation - 5/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (5/50)  
This map looks pretty generic, kind of reminds me of the sassault series (especially the bridge) mixed with the map summer.

Overall - 241/400

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »
The size actually isn't too bad when there are a lot of people playing.  One thing I noticed was that the players tend to be visible but out of range from the sides (where the autocockers are).  I'm not sure if it would be feasible to bring those sides in a bit more, but it might help the gameplay a bit.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:02 AM »
My Judging:
This is MY opinion. In Rick's template.

Detail - 60/100

Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
Barrels, wooden planks, some rocks. About as relevant as any other DP map gets.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (10/25)
Pretty bland texture choices for the whole map, and the relatively uniform lighting makes them blend into each other. Massive chunky ladders.

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (15/25)
Some useful chunky ladders, and ramps. Nothing really gets in the way.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (15/25)
Seems kind of sparse and shoehorned in, but that's just because the map is huge.

Jumps - 70/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (20/25)
A fair few possible in mid but there aren't too many discrete jumps elsewhere.

Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (15/25)
Quite a lot of terrain ramps that just put you into a wall. Otherwise fine.

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (15/25)
A couple of speed paths, as mentioned before there aren't that many useful jumps I could find around flags.

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (20/25)
Yes

Gameplay - 65/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (7/15)
Some awkward terrain in a number of places, not great for maintaining speed. Otherwise it's navigable.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)
Just the usual autococker and ammo.

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (8/10)
Seemed to be enough for match play, spread out enough for a pub too. However, a lot face walls.

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(10/15)
A lot of very visible long areas but generally enough entrances (even the 3 close together in mid) to counter most lining. However, no real cross-map views, that's limited to mid, which is good.

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (20/30)
The 2 flags aren't that badly placed considering there is some distance and no line-of-sight path between them, however they still feel a little too easy to grab both of and get away.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (15/20)
Paths are relatively equal though as always, anyone who falls to the low path in mid will get left behind. Consider tweaking this so you don't have to go the whole way round the mid to get out if you missed a jump? Nice big size for pubs though.

Technical Skill - 35/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (20/25)
In general these are under 1000, impressive considering the size of the map. However, this will be worse in some areas with reflective water enabled, and the mid spikes up to about 1.8k without. Commendable considering the map size, but this does somewhat reflect the relative lack of detail.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (5/10)
Quite a few crate misalignments on what I assume is the mirrored side of the map.

Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (10/15)
Chunky ladders; try using smaller grid sizes to make some better ones. The terrain generally seems quite rough cut and large, but if you increased detail on that you'd probably make wpoly untenable.

Innovation - 5/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (5/50) 
Haven't seen something this like summer.bsp in a while - but it is very similar.

Overall - 235/400