Author Topic: Linux USB Mouse cursor stuck moving upward  (Read 7047 times)

TinMan

• Autococker
Linux USB Mouse cursor stuck moving upward
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:00:49 PM »
This isn't a dpball problem, so its not in bugs, its in Help and Support.

When I start dpball my cursor sticks to the top of the screen, I can pull down console and load a map, but then once the map loads the mouse problem makes me look up quickly and be looking up, unable to look down.

Is there a patch or something for this? DPball and the original Quake2 are the only games that show me this problem.

<--Edit-->
Nevermind, I made a demo's folder, loaded up some demos and added a couple maps, rebooted, and now it seems to work for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:44:41 AM by webhead »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Linux USB Mouse
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:45:32 PM »
And people think Windows has bugs...

It might have something to do with dgamouse, which has been deprecated.  I'll probably be removing it for the next version.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 12:37:43 PM »
I haven't crashed this computer in Linux yet, only in Windows, so none of that Linux/Windows bugs stuff  :P
The only problem I ever encounter with games in Linux (other than this mouse bug that is limited to dpball and quake2) is that in most games I have to switch from using alsa drivers for sound to using oss drivers for sound.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »
What distro do you have?  In most newer distros, oss goes through alsa anyway.  With debian, OSS worked better for me, and alsa was screwed up.  After updating some things, everything went through alsa, so now no sound works right. :\

p.s. The new computer I built a few months ago has yet to lock up or crash using Windows XP, and my old computer managed to run over 32 weeks straight, until a memory chip went bad.  I haven't had that much in the way of good experiences with Linux...

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:03:22 PM »
I'm running Ubuntu Dapper Flight 6, which is most likely going to have its stable release on June 1st, its my new desktop which I use for my gaming needs.
I tried 64-bit windows on it once but no drivers worked...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »
Hm, Ubuntu is based off of Debian, but I thought they got rid of the OSS stuff.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
I guess not, alsa sound works in games, it just lags like a mofo, so in quake4 you do "s_server oss" or something like that, and then audio is crisp and ontime.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »
How official is Flight 6 for June 1st?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:51:11 PM »
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight6
The Ubuntu Forums claim that Ubuntu Dapper's final release will be on January 1st, although that page just says January. The current beta is Flight 7, but I have the equivelant of that with all the updates that I've installed.
Ubuntu comes with some ugly stuff, such as the "Human" Gnome theme, and Totem as the default media player, but I always change all that stuff.
Here's my current desktop: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2616/screenshot2dg.jpg

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »
is Linux good? It looks cool from your desktop =]

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
Linux is good if you're willing to put up with finding out what's wrong and fixing it, lol. In the case of Ubuntu its good because #1. It has all the masters of Debian who work on the bugs, and #2. Ubuntu has a huge community, so things are really pushed to work.
...oh...and yeah, no matter what WindowManager you use it usually does look sweet. It takes a while to learn the basic commands, but its cool to actually know what goes on on your computer, so I think its worth it.
I'd take a Linux or Unix terminal over DOS any day.  =D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 09:26:43 PM »
Linux is good for making pretty screenshots of your desktop. ;)  It's also good for servers.  It has a ways to go before it's ready to be widely used as a desktop environment, in my opinion; way too many broken drivers and unstable applications.  Updates are easy in theory, but inevitably, something goes wrong and you spend hours trying to fix it.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
More on the Ubuntu Dapper release
Has anyone got audio working in Linux? I have to run the windows version in Wine when I want audio, lol.