Author Topic: New Map - Pro Paint - By Crash  (Read 5674 times)

Crash

• PGP
New Map - Pro Paint - By Crash
« on: January 16, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »
Map: Pro Paint
Author: Crash
Max. Players: 12
Game Modes: Single Flag(Two white flags), CTF-2 Flag
Description: This map was made exclusively for clan matches, a very balanced and fun map. Not too big and not too small, with lots of basic and advanced jumps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/mizmolt/propaint_4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/mizmolt/propaint_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/mizmolt/propaint_5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/mizmolt/propaint_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/mizmolt/propaint_2.jpg

Crash

• PGP
Re: New Map - Pro Paint - By Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:30:28 PM »
   http://rapidshare.de/files/12654143/propaint.bsp.html

it wouldnt let me upload to forum =/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:37:30 PM by Crash »

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:48:17 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:47:55 AM by P!nk »

Crash

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:54:20 PM »
yea i already put it through a beta test, you just werent part of it.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:03:30 AM »
despite the fact that it looks quite ugly imho (too much Q2, too little realism in it), it might be nice for matching. We'll be sure to thoroughly test it out today/tomorrow.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:00:08 AM »
Actualy the maps quite nice it was put through about 5 or 6 beta tests. Crash gj. :) ps (caspers merry)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 10:01:41 PM »
Looks okay, would like to test when I get time, Nice Though

-Termin8oR

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 12:36:27 AM »
I tested it together with bitmate.

There are a lot of ways to gain speed and it´s not 1path .If you´re able to jump this jumg beginning in your base and which continues upto the middle you can reach oponents flag within ~10 seconds.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 01:11:05 PM »
2 things.  Well, actually 3.

1. You should always release a public beta before releasing the final version.  By that I mean post it on the forums here so everybody can provide feedback.  It's good that you had your own private testing, but there are always things that get overlooked when only a select few people view the map.
2. It looks like you lit this with the old BSP pack.  The reflected light is too bright and there are splotches all over the place.  Grab the BSP b15 pack and the new arghrad and try complining it again.  You'll probably have to scale up your light brightness to compensate for the darker reflected light.
3. The whole map needs to be moved up above 0 on the z axis.  This will nullify the effect of any high packetrate exploits.

Also, your barrel textures are misaligned.  It may not be too noticeable now, but when we come up with a highres pack later on, it may look bad to have the bottom/top edge of the barrel in the middle.  The blue barrels near the base entrance are completely misaligned.  Also, as pointed out previously, you may want to fix the tile alignment.

Overall the map looks a little bland -- too much wood texture, but I guess the map is more focused on speed/trick jumps than appearance.  It looks like it could be fun.  The jump over the center is kind of a pain, though.

Anyway, #2 and #3 should be fixed before this is put into rotation.  I'll upload it to the maps page once you've fixed it.

Crash

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »
2 things.  Well, actually 3.

1. You should always release a public beta before releasing the final version.  By that I mean post it on the forums here so everybody can provide feedback.  It's good that you had your own private testing, but there are always things that get overlooked when only a select few people view the map.
2. It looks like you lit this with the old BSP pack.  The reflected light is too bright and there are splotches all over the place.  Grab the BSP b15 pack and the new arghrad and try complining it again.  You'll probably have to scale up your light brightness to compensate for the darker reflected light.
3. The whole map needs to be moved up above 0 on the z axis.  This will nullify the effect of any high packetrate exploits.

Also, your barrel textures are misaligned.  It may not be too noticeable now, but when we come up with a highres pack later on, it may look bad to have the bottom/top edge of the barrel in the middle.  The blue barrels near the base entrance are completely misaligned.  Also, as pointed out previously, you may want to fix the tile alignment.

Overall the map looks a little bland -- too much wood texture, but I guess the map is more focused on speed/trick jumps than appearance.  It looks like it could be fun.  The jump over the center is kind of a pain, though.

Anyway, #2 and #3 should be fixed before this is put into rotation.  I'll upload it to the maps page once you've fixed it.

First off, i would like to thank you for looking at my map and using your expert opinion for evaluation. My goal on making this map was clearly not to impress anyone with my attention to detail, but simply to create a solid level of competative gameplay. I wipped it up in less than a week because I was frustrated with the current maps on rotation. In contrast to your checklist:

1. Private testing, in my opinion, is more valuable. The public will provide me with jumbled responses usually not relavent to the pertained subject.

2. Being this is the first map I have created in about four years, many updates and changes to paintball have been made. I was so confused to as to why I was getting light spots all over the place. This has been answered now, thank you!

3. What is this? The "void" spots that appear in the map sometimes?

The textures can be fixed, not sure about the barrels because the brushes are custom heights so you can do certain double jumps.

When id software created q2dm1 do you think that they intentionally made all those jumps in the map? The jumps created in propaint are not meant to be easy, hence the name, "PRO Paint". I doubt if im in a clan match im going to stop and stare at the barrel textures, get frustrated and leave the server =]

I will fix #2 and #3 ASAP so that you will put it on the map server.

Thanks!

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:01:18 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:57:44 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Crash

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
Ok everything should be fixed!

http://rapidshare.de/files/12654143/propaint.bsp.html

check it to make sure!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »
I doubt if im in a clan match im going to stop and stare at the barrel textures, get frustrated and leave the server.

LOL. The is some truth to this. But why not perfect it?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 12:36:15 AM »
Looks a lot better.  Where the crosshair is in this screenshot should actually be the bottom/top of the barrel.  It might be OK, though.  I'm just concerned that future, high-res textures may look severely misaligned.  It looks like all of the barrels are aligned the same way, so you should be able to just do a select by texture, unlock (if the texture is locked), move them up until the texture is aligned, lock, then move them back down again.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:29:15 AM »

1. Private testing, in my opinion, is more valuable. The public will provide me with jumbled responses usually not relavent to the pertained subject.

2. Being this is the first map I have created in about four years, many updates and changes to paintball have been made. I was so confused to as to why I was getting light spots all over the place. This has been answered now, thank you!

Public beta release is useful you see!

Sorry I can't give any feedback of the technical aspect, but the Map is fun and fast paced, good for small clan matches that don't want to be so serious. it's mostly about speed i guess.

How about a simple paint (minus the pro) for me eh!

Crash

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »

Public beta release is useful you see!

Sorry I can't give any feedback of the technical aspect, but the Map is fun and fast paced, good for small clan matches that don't want to be so serious. it's mostly about speed i guess.

How about a simple paint (minus the pro) for me eh!

nice, yea I think you will like propaint 2 alot. Its not about speed really, more about being smart and tricking your opponent. I plan on releasing the beta tonight or tomorrow!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed propaint1.  The modifications help the gameplay quite a bit, I think.  The high path is very prone to spray, but if you make it through, you can really fly and get some fast grabs before people know what hit 'em.  My only complaint is the spawn rooms/equipment.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 07:14:24 PM »
I agree with jits, if you remake this map then don't put guns in the spawn, I like the idea that you can't re-enter the spawn and that its cut off, but spawning with guns dumbs down the map into a sprayer. This map has some awesome jumps, keep up the good work on it crash!