Author Topic: Keyboard problems  (Read 4904 times)

b00nlander

• Autococker
Keyboard problems
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
Hi,

so I just started playing this a little bit again, but I am having some serious problems with my keyboard.

The problem occurs when I press 2 keys at the same time for a certain time span: the sideways direction key seems to lose its effect, so I only drift straight forward, I can't even change direction (look) with the mouse. It is the same effect for WASD as it is for the arrow-keys, and this all gives me the feeling that it's not the typical problem with 2 keys being on the same circuit.

Does anyone have an explanation? Maybe it's a windows setting (something with pressed keys) that I'm unaware of (Windows 7)?  It's kinda difficult to play if you can't turn after running in one direction for a second or two :(

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Keyboard problems
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »
I remember i had the same issue years ago. I kept playing for about a half hour or a bit more and the issue was gone.

Hco.

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
I experienced the same problems right after I downloaded a hand script, it kept moving to the right when I would press two keys (ex: WASD).  I just uninstalled/reinstalled the game and it works fine now.

webhead

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
bad hand script?

Hco.

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Possibly, however the hand script worked fine the second time I tried it.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
not using any scripts :(

well, I updated from build 30 to 32 yesterday and it seemed fine after that. Hopefully the bug is gone

[edit] nope, it's not gone. and it seems to occur with every set of keys, too :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:40:40 PM by b00nlander »

Hco.

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
Well b00nlander it seems that the problem probably lies within your keyboard, since this occurance happens when you use the arrow directional keys. So the question that would determine this would be have you used your current keyboard to play this game before?

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »
I've tested some more.  The problem didn't occur in Quake Live, but it also didn't occur in DP last night.  Strange thing, not sure what the underlying cause is, maybe some other application I had open?

webhead

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »
or maybe your keyboard is only faulty part of the time.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
Noticed this problem occasionally on Win7 too.

Can you get them to stick without using a special key (ctrl, alt, shift)? That should rule out sticky and filter key settings being a factor. I've read stuff about Flash+IE8 causing it. Try and reproduce it without those programs running.

I doubt it's hardware/driver related.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
yeah the problem always occurred without CTRL, ALT or SHIFT active.  Might be flash, but not IE8 related.  It was fine when I didn't run any other programs except for skype, that's why I think its due to some other application (e.g. browser) I had open.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
Not sure if you are still having this problem, but it sounds like you don't have an  "Anti-Ghosting" keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx

Solution:  Buy a gaming keyboard, or at least a keyboard that has anti-ghosting.