Author Topic: Newmap: Inception  (Read 4289 times)

aircrew

• VM-68
Newmap: Inception
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
Hey, hi, hello!

Haven´t been there for a long time! Got little bored and guess what, I have made a map. Instead of making some crappy jump maps as other kids here I´ve decided to make something memorable.

I´ve always wanted to make a decent bigger map with cool graphic and funny gameplay. I´ve succeded in making small maps, but I was always too lazy to finish bigger one.

Long time I was working with this map idea and in last three days I´ve finally made it and I hope I´ve finally managed it.

Map is good for 3s or 4s, there are no jumps needed to get a flag, but there are few jumps which can make your life easier. I can imagine map on public, but I think it´s better for matches for lots of strategical options.

This time I´ve been looking for bugs very hard, but if you find something, just post it here.

Since I don´t have much time lately and I am going to finish my high school this year and it might be little hectic, I won´t be mapping or playing so much anymore. This map is my dream which came true, heh.

I´ve been playing since 2005 I think. Six years, heh. I´ll miss you guys. Half of you. Ok, few people  ::) This is my bye bye gift for you  :)
     Have a nice play, Aircrew

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

idias

• Autococker
Re: Newmap: Inception
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
Looks pretty good. I'll download it and check it as soon as I can ;)
Good job from the screenshots tho

Scars

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
Great map. Some clip brushes are needed on the ladders' edges and some boxes are a bit cut by the ground, sjut wait for chef-killer or T3RR0R15T to point them out. Otherwise, the high way is WAY faster than the low one, and I can already foreshadow some line fights in that mid high since it's a bit narrow. The map a bit campable because you can easily protect flag one and two with some good recons, nevertheless with some good tactics, flags can be easily grabbed. And yeah, you're right, wouldn't really fit well in some public server. Otherwise, the map is really great and nicely done.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
Looks very nice. And the flames are also ok, doesn't see it correct often :)

Did you run a final compile? The r_speeds are very high for such a small map. The terrain is well done for blocking VIS. You might add hint brushes to split the map better.

If you use these tree models, make sure you add "requiredfiles" "scripts/sktrees1.txt" to the worldspawn, that the ingame download will work properly.

Add "angle" "#" to the info_player_deathmatch entities, that players don't look in front of a wall after spawning.

The lighting looks bad. Add settings for a nice sun lighting to the worldspawn. That will fix the black spots, too. Maybe something like this:
Code: [Select]
"_sun_light" "250"
"_sun_angle" "72 -25"
"_sun_ambient" "30"
"_sun_diffuse" "60"

Some screenshots...

Red: Misaligned top texture. You need to scale up the texture, if your barrel is wider than 48 units.

Red: Here's a hole.
Green: I'd add clip brushes around all of these torches, that players can't get blocked there.

Red: This brush is too small.
Yellow: The wood edges don't fit correctly.

Red: Misaligned. Make sure all rock textures have the surface properties S=0 and T=0 to fix this.

Yellow: Misaligned. Make sure all rock textures have the surface properties S=0 and T=0 to fix this.
Green: Here's a hole, too. It also looks like the ground texture isn't gras here.

Green: Add one more clip brush there.
Yellow: Wrong texture.

Red: The ladder doesn't work here.

Red: Misaligned. Make sure all rock textures have the surface properties S=0 and T=0 to fix this.

Red: Misaligned. Make sure all rock and gras textures have the surface properties S=0 and T=0 to fix this.

Red: Misaligned. Rotate the texture below.

Red: Misaligned. Move the textures a little bit.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
Attached a demo with some suggestions and uploaded the map to the beta server for play testing.

I was disappointed to find out there wasn't a map inside of this map inside of this map. ;)

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »
Attached a demo with some suggestions and uploaded the map to the beta server for play testing.

I was disappointed to find out there wasn't a map inside of this map inside of this map. ;)

I really don´t understand what you were disappointed of..?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »

Scars

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:26:45 AM »
It would've lowered the fps :)

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
BETA 2 COMING
Well, I had some time so I´ve been working on it.
Changes: Replaced all wall rock textures
              Repaired few misaligments
              Placed barricades so high path isn´t so fast now
              Added barrels in mid for better orientation
              Fixed few bugs
              Few more jumps avaible
              Lighting
              Final compile- r_speeds is now lowe then 1000 everywhere

Dunno about lighting, I liked that past more maybe, but it´s up to you, say your opinion. Paths not gonna be changed, they fit well now and it tooks same time to reach flag in every path.

I am working on another map now, so please post feedback so I can finish this fast. Enjoy.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Also I´ve made a video showing some jumps from map. I am not video editting pro, so don´t judge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCst1eLyhXY

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
Some good changes and fixes.

A few wall misalignments remains, though.

You're right with the sun lighting, there're too much shadows because of the high walls. Try lowering the second value of the sun angle, maybe "_sun_angle" "72 -35" or "_sun_angle" "72 -40".

Add "angle" "#" to the info_player_deathmatch entities, that players don't look in front of a wall after spawning.

Red: Misaligned top texture. You need to scale up the texture, if your barrel is wider than 48 units.

Yellow: The wood edges don't fit correctly.

Green: Add one more clip brush there.

Red: Misaligned. Move the textures a little bit.

And some new screenshots...

Red: Some more wall misalignments.

Red: This box is misaligned. You probably need to scale up the texture a little bit to align it correct.

Red: Misaligned, too. Move the texture down like you did on the other side. The red barrels looks good.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »

yo dawg i heard you like memes???

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
Attached another demo with feedback.  I still find the map really awkward to navigate.  The map is also in rotation on the beta server.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
Yeah, I forgot to write this.

I agree with jitspoe. Not many things of the first demo were implemented.