Author Topic: opinion  (Read 1954 times)

omni

• 68 Carbine
opinion
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
 hey i had started using bsp about a month ago i though i was getting ok with it so i started a little project (a tiny map) nothing special however i would like to know from some experts what they though of my map so i decided to post some screenshot on the forum i dont intend to publish this or anything it is not the map im interested in just whether im wasting my time with this.
(i know the lights need replacing and that is fixed now)

MarawaNa

• VM-68
Re: opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
if its your first time then its ok, but idk much of maps, just wait for terrorist, im sure he can already smell un-aligned textures LOL)LL0l

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
It's hard to judge a map just from screenshots. I'll try my best...

+ no leaks
+ lit (obviously a full export)
+ lights, boxes (?) and barrels (?) looking aligned well

- no sun lighting in the mid?
- same main texture for ground, wall and ceiling
- misaligned wood textures
- barrels with 32 (?) sides
- not mirrored exactly, at least the lights and the boxes in the mid

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks I can see I have a long way to go and a lot more practice I should have put a demo on there as it would have been easier for the person can review it thanks for the feedback the barrels do have 32 sides  though :)

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
 Looks very cool to me. I gave up on BSP months ago, plus the .. texture thing kind of blew me off. It is a paintball map not a work of art for the smithsonian so misaligned textures and what nots killed my interests. (Who actually loads a map and takes a scenic stroll through it to look for imperfections anyway?? How much free time does that take?)
 I am working between FPS Creator and 3DRad to build files and a map for an easier to map for version.
 Basically mapping will be a WYSIWYG format plug and play items. If I finish mine it will be based on real life play with no super jumps and things you can not do in real life.
Things like: You can "slime" your barrel and require a squeege to clean it and overshooting freezes up your valve so balls lose velocity.
 BSP is cool if you have the time and patience but I will stick with 3ds and directx formats. (plus it makes it sooo easy to model for)

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
Sounds cool to be honest  I don't really have that much time to do bsp but I have quite a lot of  patients but what you are doing sounds cool and easier and I agree with you on the imperfections and I  guess tge dp2 team just want the game to look as professional as it can be.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »
I couldn't do bsp. even with youtube tutorials. you are in inspiration to us all!

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
@chef
you forgot:
+ fov 90 screenshots :P (at least if they are fov 90, not sure)

As for the map, I like your mapping style - clear and easy. The biggest problem i see here is the gameplay. Right after the start it will be just line-over-mid and kill. With good cooperation on 2v2 it would be impossible to go anyway because lines would be fast enough to stop enemies from using any way. But still idk what weapons you plan to put there.
I would suggest, you put something high to the center of mid, for example barrels (because the mid is already made of crates).

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
 i see what your saying ,  wasn't planning to release this at all however your advice will help me later so thanks for it (oh and yeah fov 90) :)