Author Topic: How do I get the best FPS?  (Read 2105 times)

ArakniD

• PGP
How do I get the best FPS?
« on: June 10, 2006, 02:58:35 AM »
Hey guys, I recently updated my GFX card, so I was wondering if anyone cal help me out in getting the best FPS (frames per second) possible.  Thanks.  BTW, can this game/does it run on OpenGL?  Thanks..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:19:22 AM by webhead »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: FPS
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:51:08 AM »
It runs in opengl, yes.  What video card did you get?  A couple things that will increase the framerate right away are r_reflectivewater 0 and r_caustics 0.

ArakniD

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 06:03:50 PM »
I have a S3G UniChrome Pro IGP.  64 MB.  It runs good, ranging from 50-100, well IMO thats good.  But when I run fraps, it shoots down to like 4 fps.  Also, when I use XFIRE, I cant get the in-game messeging to work.   Could that be because XFIRE doesnt support the game?  Thanks...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »
That's an upgrade?

Looks like this calls for desperate measures.  Some old cards have problems with slow texture uploading, so setting gl_stainmaps to 0 and/or gl_dynamic to 0 can help improve framerates considerably.  r_oldmodels 1 will use the old player models, too, which are lower poly.  Eventually we'll get LOD support on the new models.  Also, setting the gl_texturemode to gl_linear_mipmap_nearest might improve framerates some.

ArakniD

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
That's an upgrade?

Update.

Its not that old of a card, 04-05 isn't old IMO, seeing as this game is way older.  Those thigs you asked me to change last didnt really affect it much except maybe by 2.  When I record with fraps though, it still shoots down really low, im guessing its not my card, but maybe something else like my processor or something?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 11:59:37 AM »
Recording with Fraps will shoot down your FPS a little even on a really good setup, what I recommend that you do is that you record a demo ("record <demoname>" in console), and then once you are done recording the demo use "stop record" to stop recording the demo, the "map <demoname>.dm2" to play the demo, and start up fraps and record your demo being played back, this way fraps won't kill your gameplay.

ArakniD

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »
Recording with Fraps will shoot down your FPS a little even on a really good setup, what I recommend that you do is that you record a demo ("record <demoname>" in console), and then once you are done recording the demo use "stop record" to stop recording the demo, the "map <demoname>.dm2" to play the demo, and start up fraps and record your demo being played back, this way fraps won't kill your gameplay.

Yeah ive tried that, ill try it again, but fraps still shoots it down on occasion.  Ill try it again.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
araknid, that option still makes a lower fps, but as its a demo and not real time, it wont affect your game playing.

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »
Pushing down the sound quality can also make a lot of difference.