Author Topic: Map Making: How do I make words pop up  (Read 2173 times)

Sub0123

• Stingray
Map Making: How do I make words pop up
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »
So I was playing Kurwajump_b1 earlier and I noticed that when I run over a spot, These words pop up (Don't Cheat!).

I am currently trying to make a map and I need this to be inputted so my map will be complete!

Thanks in advance!  :)

Sub0123

• Stingray
Re: Map Making: How do I make words pop up
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
And I was also wondering, how the player could go through a specific part on a wall. Thanks!

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
I wanted to play with paint :p

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Thanks but I was wondering, When I click the Trigger_multiple add entity button to add to my brush, I can still see the brush when I try it out. Also the words dont popout as well :(

Thanks

Also my carve function is not working.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:57 AM »
Thanks but I was wondering, When I click the Trigger_multiple add entity button to add to my brush, I can still see the brush when I try it out. Also the words dont popout as well :(

It's difficult to tell whether you're doing it wrong or not, but this is how it works for me. I make a brush, then I press E to open the entity window. I then select trigger_multiple from the list and then press the "Make Entity" button. This makes the brush into that specific entity, and it should change color from a white brush into a gray one. After that's done, I just add the necessary features into it, change its size to whatever suits the map, and it's ready.

The fact that you can still see it makes me think that you didn't manage to make it into an actual entity.

Also my carve function is not working.

I also can't help you with this one if it's an actual bug with the program. But to carve something, you're better off moving the object outside the map because it might mess with the other brushes around it without you knowing, which will be messy. I'm just brainstorming that the program might be kind enough to not allow you to destroy your map, which is why it refuses to trigger, although that's really far fetched. Just test it out in a place where nothing can go wrong, and if it still fails, look into your methods of how you use it, like you should only select the brush you want to carve with, and you shouldn't press the "merge" button etc. Just look into it.

Sorry, I'm a bit chatty when I'm supposed to study :p

Edit: I just noticed that "carve" isn't the thing I'm talking about. To make a hidden passage as in my picture, you need to use the "subtract selected brushes from world" button. How far do you actually get with the carve button? Do you get the carving triangle to appear when you press "create clippers from current face", and can you move it around etc.?

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:29:10 AM »
Quote from: joonas
It's difficult to tell whether you're doing it wrong or not, but this is how it works for me. I make a brush, then I press E to open the entity window. I then select trigger_multiple from the list and then press the "Make Entity" button. This makes the brush into that specific entity, and it should change color from a white brush into a gray one. After that's done, I just add the necessary features into it, change its size to whatever suits the map, and it's ready.

The fact that you can still see it makes me think that you didn't manage to make it into an actual entity.

Yes the problem was that I put the "Message""Hello" and "Sound""1" BEFORE I actually applied the trigger_multiple. Thanks a lot!

Quote from: joonas
Edit: I just noticed that "carve" isn't the thing I'm talking about. To make a hidden passage as in my picture, you need to use the "subtract selected brushes from world" button. How far do you actually get with the carve button? Do you get the carving triangle to appear when you press "create clippers from current face", and can you move it around etc.?

As for the carve function, I actually clicked Clippers|Carve at the menu bar instead of clicking the "Subtract selected brushes from world" button Thanks for that  ;D

It actually carved when I clicked that button. I'm confused at what the "Create clippers from current face" does because I dont feel the need to use that because it successfully works :)

Thanks so much for all your help :)

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
As for the carve function, I actually clicked Clippers|Carve at the menu bar instead of clicking the "Subtract selected brushes from world" button Thanks for that  ;D

It actually carved when I clicked that button. I'm confused at what the "Create clippers from current face" does because I dont feel the need to use that because it successfully works :)

Carving is a different technique, so the subtract/merge thing has nothing to do with it (sorry for confusing you). Subtracting is used to cut into brushes, but carving is used to add new sides to brushes, although you can use the subtract method for this as well, but that usually ends up disastrously. So if you ever want to make boulders, rounded edges, non-symmetrical non-90° brushes, you're better off carving rather than subtracting it with another brush.

To answer your question, when you press that "create clippers from current face" button, it gives you the triangle used to carve your brush, and the triangle is positioned into the face of the brush you've selected. In order to cut anything with it, you have to move the corners of the triangle so that the triangle goes through the brush somehow. It's very confusing to position it correctly though since you can only move it around in those 2D images, but the result is a lot better compared to subtracting.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:38:20 AM by joonas »

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! The entire time I was talking about subtracting instead of carving (sorry for confusing you). Thanks a lot!

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »
This is going to be my topic for which I ask all my map making questions.

When I click Lava when on the "S" menu, The paint doesnt turn invisible. Can anyone tell me how to make my brush invisible AND be a puddle of paint at the same time?

Thanks

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
Try setting the nodraw flag as well

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
If it's just important for you that a player should die, I'd prefer a trigger_hurt entity.

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
If it's just important for you that a player should die, I'd prefer a trigger_hurt entity.

I would use that but I think the Lava flag is better.

Try setting the nodraw flag as well

Thanks that worked!