Author Topic: Tournament Idea Maybe??  (Read 4728 times)

blaa

• Autococker
Re: Tournament Idea Maybe??
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
 I like the idea (in the first post).

But you should leave as little as possible for players to decide (I mean scheduling the match). Just force 3 times for each week. Like 2 for weekend and 1 for mid-week. The players would then choose one date. Of course, they might still fail at agreeing on a time, so need to force one time if an agreenment can't be done.

I think assigning a captain is a very good idea. Then there is atleast one person who is responsible of the team :). The assigning shouldn't be random and the captain should be picked by you.

Also, if it's 3v3 and teams are made of 3 players, then I am fairly certain that some matches will be cancelled or played 2v2 for sure. So maybe 4 players in team? If all 8 players show up, then 4v4, if 7 players, then 3v3 and one player can substitute. Better than 2v2 or forfeits.

I would join, but only if there are subs. I also would like to help and stuff.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »
You are right about the schedule.  Will be a lot of work to keep it organized and the better the schedule/rules are the less chance there is for matches to be missed.

I am not sure about the idea of subs though.  If you are a sub you:   A.  Don't have an opportunity to get MVP points.   B.  You can be awarded points for winning for not even playing.     &  C.  Lower skill players will most likely be forced to sub (more than once).  For example at week 10 (1 match per week) a low skill player could have 10 victories while only having actually played in 3 matches.

Unless the substitute player is forced to sub as per the schedule.  This makes scheduling a bit more complicated because everyone would have to be scheduled to sub an equal number of times to keep it fair.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »
I think the players, who others don't want to play - force them to be a sub -, won't be even in the competition for the MVP prizes. So I don't see a problem there.

Also, if there are 3 very good players and 1 bad player, then I am sure one of those 3 good players have enough sense to let the bad player play :).

I also don't see why you are struggling on the MVP deciding thing. Just make it so that the player who wins the most matches is the best player! Seems kind of logical to me. Most wins - must be good, or had luck with teammates. But lol... this is paintball, I heard there is some luck in this game.

Even if there are 2 bad players and 1 good player on the field, then I think the addition of the good player will make the 2 usually bad players perform better as well. For example if I match with one of the skill-less players in q then I perform worse than when I play with gama/sata/rock.

Lets get this thing rolling.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »
sounds like a great idea, the only problem will be getting numbers. other than that, its solid.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
I also don't see why you are struggling on the MVP deciding thing. Just make it so that the player who wins the most matches is the best player! Seems kind of logical to me. Most wins - must be good, or had luck with teammates. But lol... this is paintball, I heard there is some luck in this game.

There is a much higher potential for a tie if we only use wins and losses.  Everyone on the leaderboard would also have very similar scores, not that this is a major problem.

Any suggestions on a potential name for this league/tournament?

I am thinking I might as well go through with it.  I will do some work and "officially" announce it in a few days or so.  Still unsure about the subs though.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
Supermans Paintball League

SPL

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
Supermans Paintball League

SPL

Ah I like that =D

Maybe it would be better to wait and see how many sign-ups there are before deciding whether or not to implement subs.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Yeah, just start the sign up process, contact some people personally and ask them to promote the cup to their friends. I think if you pick popular maps then you should be able to gain 24 players (so 8 teams) easily.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
Having a sub is usefull because if a member can't make it, they have a backup and don't have to forfeit.

Sign me up

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
What do we do if there is an argument about who is the sub?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. everyone has to play at least 5 minutes or 5 rounds?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
Well the matches will be best 2 of 3, so how about each player has to play at least one full map.

I was thinking of switching the MVP points to per map, maybe one point for the MVP each map.  This would allow each player the chance to get at least one MVP point per match.

Scoring for the leaderboard right now looks like:  
3 points for a win
1 point for losing team players if they make it to 3rd map
1 point for the MVP each map.  Chance of getting 3 MVP points.  

Maybe I will make it more exciting by doing thousands instead of ones.

Also vote for the maps you want in the rotation in this thread.  I think it will be a 5 or 7 map pool.  Maybe we will change the map pool half way into the season.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
im not really liking the MVP, how are we scoring MVP again?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »
im not really liking the MVP, how are we scoring MVP again?

Was thinking best k/d but modified to account for grabs and caps.  1 frag added to score for each grab, and 3 for each cap?  

Maybe it would be best for the tournament admins to decide a single MVP for the whole match, by reviewing end of game screenshots from each match.  I think I will also change the MVP to only one point.  Should keep the scores a little bit tighter.

Doing a little bit of work on www.SupermansPub.com/spl.html

Won't be anything fancy. Will open up the sign ups soon.  They will be open for a week or so while we finalize the rules.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:42:25 AM by SuperMAn »