Author Topic: League of Legends - 32 Million Monthly Active Users  (Read 2841 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
League of Legends - 32 Million Monthly Active Users
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-12-league-of-legends-32-million-monthly-active-users

I keep hearing people say things like "In LoL, I can get in a match in seconds!"  Well, yeah, with a player base of millions, it doesn't matter what means you use for getting a match, you're going to be able to find people.  Just something to keep in mind.  Just because a game has a huge player base does not necessarily mean their methods for getting matches, integrating into the community, etc, are the best.  It also doesn't mean their methods will scale down to a smaller player base like we have.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: League of Legends - 32 Million Monthly Active Users
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
But wouldn't you like to build the structure to your more new "user friendly game" around this? As it has succeeded. I know they are different game types... and this is QUAKEII... But yeah.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
You can't compare LoL to other games, it's just huge right now. Those stats are just ridiculous.

But I don't think people say that about League because of the methods used for matching, they just say it as the reason they play it instead of DP2. The methods for tournaments/scrimming are the same as LoL, set up time to scrim, invite 5 teammates + 5 opponent to custom game, start, bo3 game.

The things I like about League are:
- Patches are forced and happen when I open the game. (So I don't have to read forums etc.. to find out when to update)
- Opens to a 'main page' screen, gives you updates on competitive play/upcoming patches + friendslist -- easy to keep this open cause it doesn't lag anything by just being open.
- Friendslist to communicate / Lobby chats for new players
- Delayed spectating of ANY matches (Sooo annoying having everyone obs in a match, spamming to spec them / talking nonstop).
- Website doesn't look so serious, puts big emphasis on competitive play / videos etc... easier to find stuff.

I mean, LoL is an ugly looking game, it's just fun. Same for DP. The secret is to try to get DP big in china/korea, then it'll grow. Problem: Those guys only like RTS :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
The patching is an interesting point.  I'm not sure why people freak out about updating Paintball2 so much.  It does have an in-game notification when a new version is out, though, so you don't have to monitor the news/forums (unless you want to try the pre-test).  The lobby/chat stuff could possibly be done by Integrating IRC into the client.  I'm not sure how much work a delayed spectating system would be.  I assume you're not in the match like observers are in Paintball2.  Does every LoL server broadcast to some central server that you can connect to and watch (with a delay)?  Can you jump in/sub for people in LoL?

We probably should work on some official videos for Paintball2 that do a good job of showing off the gameplay.

I'm not sure if getting big in china/korea would help much.  Sure, we'd have more players overall, but is playing with a bunch of laggy asians (due to  geographical differences) going to help any?  Also, as you said, they seem to be obsessed with RTS style games and not so much with shooters.  It would also require a MAJOR overhaul to support those languages in-game.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »

We probably should work on some official videos for Paintball2 that do a good job of showing off the gameplay.

I've been thinking about this for awhile...

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
Does every LoL server broadcast to some central server that you can connect to and watch (with a delay)?  Can you jump in/sub for people in LoL?

Yes, and no. Its nearly impossible to "sit out" and if you do, you can get reported. Ever thought about possibly moving dp2 into a more updated quake engine? I know... Tons of work, and blahblahblah. Just a question.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
Yes, and no. Its nearly impossible to "sit out" and if you do, you can get reported. Ever thought about possibly moving dp2 into a more updated quake engine? I know... Tons of work, and blahblahblah. Just a question.

Big thing about changing the engine is none of the jumps would work the same.

There are a lot of free ones out there that come with easy to use editors.  Like Unity3d

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
There's actually a paintball game that uses unity3d - paintballgame.com.  I haven't been able to get it to run, though, the unity web player crashes for me.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:45:10 PM »
the unity web player crashes for me.
same unity always crashes for me...

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
I've never had it crash on me.  We were working on a golf game similar to pangya with it.

You can't compare LoL to other games, it's just huge right now.

False.  Watch me work.

League is a tower defense/strategy/pvp game.  Call of Duty is a pvp/shooter.  League is not a shooter.

Pwnt.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »
gonass: Does that unity paintball game work for you?

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »

CoD > LoL

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »
After christmas i should have a new computer and ill see if it will work on that one.

Plus then if it does im going to create my own game with unity.:P

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
gonass: Does that unity paintball game work for you?

It does.  It took forever to load, but it works.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
It does.  It took forever to load, but it works.
Getting a bit off topic here, but how is it?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »
Getting a bit off topic here, but how is it?

I tried it, took maybe 5 minutes to load.  Looks really nice.  Not a fan of the gameplay though.  Not that I experienced much of it.   There was nobody else playing at the time, so I just walked around and shot for a minute or so.

Whaley

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-12-league-of-legends-32-million-monthly-active-users

I keep hearing people say things like "In LoL, I can get in a match in seconds!"  Well, yeah, with a player base of millions, it doesn't matter what means you use for getting a match, you're going to be able to find people.  Just something to keep in mind.  Just because a game has a huge player base does not necessarily mean their methods for getting matches, integrating into the community, etc, are the best.  It also doesn't mean their methods will scale down to a smaller player base like we have.
LOLOL, League is da best.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »
LoL is The BEsT GaMe in  ThE WoRlD