Author Topic: 'power saving mode' monitor problem  (Read 5274 times)

aborted

• VM-68
'power saving mode' monitor problem
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »
I have this problem for like 3 weeks, every time i play dp my monitor turnes off and there is message 'power saving mode' .
It happens only in dp, i tried command fullscrean value to 0, it happened again, and it happens fast, after 20-30 min. after entering to dp.
Did anyone had this problem,how to fix it...

Thx

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: 'power saving mode' monitor problem
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
Check your graphics card connection (might be a loose power cord, if you have one), make sure the card is not overheating, run the fans at max speed, might try downclocking your card some just to see if this problem still occurs.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
Also, make sure your display refresh rate and resolution are set to something your monitor supports.  Does this only happen in full screen mode?  Can you play in windowed mode?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
now it is happening in some other games too, and can u please explain me that things, what to set, where, how, please, thx

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
Is it just the monitor or is the whole computer restarting?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »
It's possible your video card/driver is crashing.  Which card do you have?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:24:08 AM »
I dont know so much about this, but on cards box says
GAINWARD 8400 GS 512MB DDR3
PCI Express 2.0
DirectX 10.1
DVI

When i start my pc it says 1024MB, and i have program called Everest which says:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
GeForce 8400GS
Version BIOS-a   Version 70.18.6F.00.00
Chip type           GeForce 8400GS
DAC type           Integrated RAMDAC
Memory Capacity   1024 MB

Instalirani driveri   
nv4_disp   6.14.13.0681 - nVIDIA Detonator 6.81

does this mean i have 1gb graphic card instead of 512mb?
Check your graphics card connection (might be a loose power cord, if you have one), make sure the card is not overheating, run the fans at max speed, might try downclocking your card some just to see if this problem still occurs.
How to set this?

Also, make sure your display refresh rate and resolution are set to something your monitor supports. 
And this?

Someone said to me that graphic card is maybe too strong for motherboard or smth, how can i check this?

So basicaly it switches to power saving mode everytime i play games only.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
Well, it's probably not too strong for the motherboard, but it could be too much for your power supply to handle.

As for setting your display refresh rate and resolution, those are specified in the video options under setup.  You should probably leave the display refresh rate at default if you're using an LCD monitor.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »
usually when this happens to people its 99.9% the video cards fault. only fix is to get a card that is capable of running the game, and is made for your PC.

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Check this out, first I found program for drivers update which found several drivers were needed to be updated. I downloaded them via that program, i think the name was Genious driver searcher or something. Anyway i did that, and also wanted to install AVG free antivirus after my old av expired. During installation of avg, my windows suddenly restarted by itself, and now wont show windows loading screen and wont start windows. When i turn my pc on, it only shows some information at beggining and when it should start windows loading screen, it goes total black. Since i dont have any windows cd i cant do anything now. I found on several forum websites that starting in safe mode could do the trick, but pressing F8 only opens screen where i can choose from where to start boot, CDROM or HDD. I pressed HDD but still windows loading screen wont show up.
This Genious program related to find outdated drivers found some related to nvidia nforce, adapters etc...

Please guys help, type anything u think can help.

Since i dont have Windows CD will buying some other Windows XP installation CD help fixing this stupid problem?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »
nvm my brother fixed this.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
nvm my brother fixed this.

How did he fix it, for other people who may be looking to resolve this same issue?  Was updating the video drivers ultimately what fixed the problem?

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
I dont know, it has something to do with safe mode, i will ask him to post his answer.
However i have another question about graphic card.
Since my bro has college he doesnt have enough time for this.
My graphic card is GAINWARD 8400 GS 512MB DDR3. I cant see any fan on it which would keep it from overheating only something like this

Is this some type of fan? If so how to change its fan speed?

Malware

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
Here is the solution.
First i have downloaded a software called Driver Genious and with it I downloaded latest drivers (first make backup of current drivers, this program has that option). After that we had some problems with Windows starting up, windows loading screen which i fixed by holding, not pressing F8 what my brother did (pressing F8 opened boot starting directory cdrom. hdd), and i went on starting windows in best known configuration which fixed the problem.

Later I realised that drivers were ok, but the main problem of monitor going to safe mode was graphic card overheating. So i installed free software MSI Afterburner and with it i changed my GPU fan speed (previously was at 0%). Now it should work fine. Hope this helps.