Author Topic: New Font  (Read 8388 times)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: New Font
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
your font pics are broken for me... can you rehost them please?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 03:09:17 PM »
Fixed the images.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »
Thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »
Started playing around with this again, and I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between pixel-perfect and antialiased versions.  I tend to prefer the pixel-perfect versions, as they're more readable.  Obviously the large fonts will have to be antialiased.  I want to make a really clean, readable small font to be used for various things, though in-game IRC console, tooltips, etc.

I've attached a few different prototypes.

1st line = no antialiasing - everything is per-pixel.
2nd line - Mostly per-pixel, with a couple areas antialiased (to try to make the b and d look more rounded).
3rd line - all antialiased (looks less jagged, but also looks blurry).
4th - all antialiased, bold
5th - per-pixel bold.
Bottom right - experimented with curving the edges out + antialias.  Large version attached as a second image.  Not sure if I like it or not, but it's a potential large font that would scale down well, since it's designed to align perfectly at 6 pixels wide.

Feature vote thread related to this: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=15095

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Oops, didn't realize the background was transparent.  Made a white version for better readability on this background.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
I tend to prefer the pixel-perfect versions, as they're more readable.

+1

Would it also support more characters (language specific)?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Would it also support more characters (language specific)?
No, that would be a rather large undertaking.  It would be possible to support a few accented characters and such that are supported by the basic 8-bit ascii character set, but it would mean removing most of the current funname stuff.  Pretty much the whole Quake2 architecture is based around 8-bit character strings, so switching over to 16-bit or utf-8 would require revamping all of the string related functionality and would potentially double the bandwith required for sending strings over the network.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
I prefer the 1st or fourth line, to be honest.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »
Why not implement loading ttf or otf fonts instead of using bitmap fonts?  I would think that would be better for scaling and such, being vector based and all.

A quick look through dafont and I found one that looks a bit similar to the current one: [link].  It also has a license similar to the Do What The F_ck You Want To Public License.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
Fonts would most likely have to be rendered to a texture, anyway, so I don't think it matters if they were done with ttf or bitmaps.  I think rendering fonts as polygons would be slow on some machines (lots of polygons per letter - especially rounded letters).