Author Topic: Very Large Map: Solution to MAX_PATCHES error?  (Read 2988 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Very Large Map: Solution to MAX_PATCHES error?
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
I have just finished designing a map that is very large and open (a technical mapper's nightmare). Of course, I am getting the MAX_PATCHES error.

I have already increased most of the main textures to twice their normal size, and I have added "detail" to the appropriate brushes, but I'm still getting the error.

So, any ideas to help me? Should I increase the size of those textures to 3 times, remove some of my barrels/crates, or do something else? Any feedback is appreciated!

I have attached my .map and my .bsp files, and my custom textures. Of course, when I've solved this error, I will align all the misaligned textures.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Very Large Map: Solution to MAX_PATCHES error?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
MAX_PATCHES basically means you have to much lit area.  You can scale up the texture on some surfaces (which scales up the lightmap as well, so it doesn't need as many pixels).

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
just take all faces u can't see while playing the map, and give them texture sizes of 100<. Works normally great ;) .

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »
just take all faces u can't see while playing the map, and give them texture sizes of 100<. Works normally great ;) .
You mean qvis is dumb enough to render textures you can't see? I swear, all these programs need a serious update.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
seems like it ^^

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
qvis may stop the rendering of things you can't see, but if the surfaces are there, lightmaps will be applied to them (even if they're not possible to see from the playable area of the map).

You MIGHT be able to apply the "skip" brush to those surfaces, but I think this tends to behave strangely and may still apply a lightmap texture.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »
So which faces should I do this to? I know clip and nodraw brushes, but is it also necessary to do this for the under side of the road even though you don't see it in no clip observer mode? Also, my apologies for not uploading my custom textures. The zip file takes too long to upload and then my server times out. I'll try again.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
don't try nodraw or skip. Like jitspoe said. Skip will mess things up and nodraw will in first instance not make a difference and in second as soon as the nodraw face touches anything else u get funny graphic bugs ^^.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
So which brushes should I scale up to 100+? Should I do this to the faces of brushes that will be rendered out? I don't have any faces in my map that you can't see that appear when I'm flying around in no clip observer mode. And btw I know that the barrels and crates are taking up too much lightmap, I'm fixing it right now and it's still saying "MAX_PATCHES".

P.S. Some of my custom textures are large, so where can I put the download link if it's too big to post in the forum?

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
have look at this testmap.
For the textures i'd advice to never pick a resolution larger than 1024*1024.
Then try rapidshare or sth.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
have look at this testmap.
For the textures i'd advice to never pick a resolution larger than 1024*1024.
Then try rapidshare or sth.
Which testmap? You forgot to post a link.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »
i just am it ^^

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Thanks. I will try this technique and see if it works.