Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 1076 times)

Qwaseman2

• PGP
New Laptop
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
Hey guys! Long time no see.  I sold my old PC that I had and started to look for a better one. One day my dad went to the landfill and found a laptop. (This seems to be the way I always get my computers.)  He brought it home and it worked. He told me I could keep it.

Out of the games I've tried, here's a list of what I can play:  (This is all Valve games...)

TF2 (Lowest possible settings with a performance config and the old school models pack.)

Portal (Highest possible settings)

Left 4 Dead (Highest possible settings)

I was wondering if there were any recommendations you guys would like to tell me. (Nothing like WoW or LoL)

Also, I saw the same laptop on a Yahoo! Answers question, but with lower specs. An answer said that he could be able to play GTA 4 lowest settings. Is this true?)
Here's the link:
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110610225345AAvAXDo

Here are my specs:

HP Compaq nc6000

Intel Pentium M processor 1600MHz 1.60 GHz
Windows 7 32-bit
1.00 GB of RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 Series

Here's the whole thing that DxDiag said:

Name: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Teachnologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4E50)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 287 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

That's it, just list some games or comments about my laptop.

Thanks!

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »
Not much, I'm sorry to tell you and there isn't much you can do.

Firstly go to your Catalyst Control Center (right click desktop) or find it in all programs. 

Start --> All Programs --> AMD VISION Engine Control Center

Turn all the settings to the lowest, especially things such as anti-aliasing (AA).

I think CCC would come with the graphic set I don't know for sure though.

Also upgrade your drivers, either by

A) Go into AMD VISION Engine Control Center and click on software update (right at the bottom of the left hand side)

B) Search AMD into google
BI)  Go to amd.com
BII) Click Support and drivers from the top menu on the far right
BIII)Put in your correct information

You used to be able to do it through steam, I don't know whether you can now try click on steam in the top left hand corner when your in steam.

I don't know many games you could play.

Considering its a laptop it may have came with included software already from the start such as "helpful pdf readers" and the worlds worst antiviruses. these just slow the system down, if you can end the processes of files that are these third party applications that may/may not have came with the laptop but make sure you know what your ending, you dont want to make the system unstable, do a quick google search for the process and if it comes back as being one of these files end it.

Although I wouldn't do that unless you feel confident in yourself, probably best to leave it.

As for the games i have no clue about what you could play, why not search into google "can i run it?" the website there should tell you if you can run a game, its a little strict though it told me i could not run games but i did. :)

Thats about all i can say hope it helped.

Qwaseman2

• PGP
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
On the GTA 4 on the Yahoo Answers page, he has less RAM then me but the guy said he could still play GTA 4. I don't see how that is possible since he doesn't even reach the Min. Requirements (On GameDebate).

Thanks for your help.

If anyone else has some comments or recommendations just say.

I forgot to add this: I looked online for upgrades and now I'm going to have 2 gb instead on 1. I cant find another graphics card. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:42:10 PM by Qwaseman2 »