Author Topic: Shofixti Map pack  (Read 8133 times)

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:50:22 PM by IronFist »

bug

• 68 Carbine
Re: Shofixti Map pack
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »
I love it, they totally bash on Valve.

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2006, 08:27:29 AM »
what does this mean for us? could i use that compiler and still work on DP2?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2006, 12:13:36 PM »
You can make pretty big maps in 8192 units.  It's just a matter of using the space wisely.  I thought Quake3 had the same limits, but maybe not.  The big problem with the limits isn't the compiler, but the network protocol.  In all honesty, I don't think maps that big are really necessary.  Unless you have like 64player servers, people will get bored running around on something that massive.

What's an example of a massive defrag map?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »
Jits, look up some of the "race" maps, they are huge, some are just empty halls that stretch for a long long way and then the defrag timer runs till you get to the end, and some you actually have to make large strafe jumps from platform to platform repeadedly for the length of the map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »
Can you give me the filename of one?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 04:42:06 PM »
offhand I know of xcm_tricks2 which may be over the Quake 2 boundaries, but there are larger ones, I just don't know my maps very well, there's so many defrag maps out there. A good source for most of the common ones that you'll see on servers are here: http://defrag.own-age.com/maps/ , its most of the original ones

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
Ok, now back on topic, I wont be working on this map pack due to other computer work related to paintball.

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2006, 01:55:10 PM »
ok, im addicted to mapping... soooo im scraping all my plans and just letting my inner mapper flow... or, in other words, im working on another map:

Splatport: (ok, horrible name, im open to suggestions)

the map is based in an airport, with planes such as pictured below, all fully open, and playable in.

i dont have that much done, but for now post your thoughts/ideas.

EDIT:
no textures yet.

Vinne

• VM-68
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
Ok, I don't think the whole converting map formats thing is working out very well.  I checked out 2siege, and it had a lot of problems.  Pretty much none of the brushes are aligned.  There are gaps all over the place.  This will cause all sorts of problems, from leaks to poor vising.  It doesn't look like you even ran VIS.  Take a look at the upper floor in the bases, for example.  You walk up the stairs, and the floor doesn't cleanly meet the stairs.  There's a small gap.  There's also a gap along the middle of the floor.  When you run vis, nothing can be hidden upstairs, because things can be seen through the gaps.  The floor is also super-thin.  I don't think an inch of stone would hold up very well.  There are also gaps in the walls and other things, and even on a high-end system, the framerates are mediocre because the whole map is being drawn at once.  I'd imagine it's completely unplayable on lowend systems.

Finally, the textures: you need to figure out a way to put them somewhere besides the "bad" directory.  Also, you've used some paintball2 textures and included them in the bad directory.  This really defeats the purpose of using textures included with the game.  a) People will have to download them even though they already have them, and b) high-res texture packs won't be applied to them, because they're in a different location.

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »
ty for the input, yes due to deleted brushes i dont hink it worked out, all the same i was surprised it worked at all.

as for the textures, i could use a tut on how to use them properly, without setting all textures on every brush (believe me, after an export there are ALOT of brushes)

hopefully my next map will turn out better, i decided the airport idea wouldent work due to brush problems (small brushes tend to get deleted) so i'm going to do something simpler, but at the same time diffrent.

Vinne

• VM-68
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2006, 02:47:36 PM »
well if u ever make another map like this and have a airplANE BETTER BRUSHES AND windows IN THE PLANE

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »
 >:(

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
i never planned on not having windows...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »
In BSP there's a way to select by texture.  You could select the bad/texturename and replace it with the pball/texturename.  Heck, you could even open the .map file in notepad and do a seacrh/replace for bad/ and replace it with pball/ or whatever texture directory you want to use.

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »
TY, i'll look into that.